How do you pronounce these people's names?

• Thread starter DeadWolfe
  • Start date
In summary, Ramanujan, Feynman, Gell-Mann, Lagrange, Brouwer, Lebesgue, Stieltjes, and Galois are all mathematicians who have had a significant impact on their field. Stieltjes is most commonly known for his work in functional analysis, Galois is famous for his work in mathematics and physics, and Brouwer is most renowned for his work in mathematical logic. Monique is Dutch, and Daniel has had trouble pronouncing the names of some of the mathematicians, but he is confident in his French pronunciation of others.
Mmmm, I worked in Penistone for a while..

Moonbear said:
Lima, OH is pronounced just like Lima bean, not Leema.
Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
And Cairo, Illinois is pronounced Kay-row.

Maybe someone already answered of how to pronounce Huygens but I hear it pronounced by professors as Hoy-gens where g is pronounced like the g in guitar. I'm terrible at pronounciations though :\. I'm surprised Americans haven't Americanized more names like Christopher Columbus who was actually called Cristobal Colon (accents over the i and last o)

brewnog said:
Am I missing something here?

When I see a town named Lima, instead of a bean, I think of Lima, Peru, pronounced Leema.

vsage said:
Maybe someone already answered of how to pronounce Huygens but I hear it pronounced by professors as Hoy-gens where g is pronounced like the g in guitar. I'm terrible at pronounciations though :\. I'm surprised Americans haven't Americanized more names like Christopher Columbus who was actually called Cristobal Colon (accents over the i and last o)

When we got to optics in my high-school physics class, the teacher pronounced it HOY kunz. That's not to say he necessarily knew the right way to say it. :smile:

Moonbear said:
I wish I had a way to draw a schwa here.
Just copy off of Lebesgue in post #13. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
When I see a town named Lima, instead of a bean, I think of Lima, Peru, pronounced Leema.

When I see a bean named Lima, I think of Lima, Peru, pronounced Leema.

Edit: OHHH! 'LIME-A'! Getcha.

When it comes to pronouncing town/state names in the US, there is no rule.

The state of Nevada is pronounced - neh VAH da

The town of Nevada (in Missouri) is pronounced - nah VAY da

The state of Missouri is pronounced throughout the US as - miz ZUR ee, except in the state of Missouri where they pronounce it - miz ZUR ah

The town of Olathe, Kansas is pronounced - oh LAY tha

Evo said:

The state of Missouri is pronounced throughout the US as - miz ZUR ee, except in the state of Missouri where they pronounce it - miz ZUR ah

I thought you Americans fled England in order to escape their insane pronounciation rules in the first place.
Evidently, you failed.

Last edited:
brewnog said:
Edit: OHHH! 'LIME-A'! Getcha.

Yep, Lime-a. That's how we pronounce the name of the bean too. Lima, OH has a lima bean festival every year too.

Evo said:

grew up in Nevada. it is only pronounced Neh Vah da outside of Nevada. Nuh vadd uh is correct

vsage said:
It's the 'uy' in Huygens which is impossible to pronounce for someone who isn't dutch. It has no equivalent in english or any other language I know of (not that I know that many).
The link Monique gave links to a good mp3 for the pronunciation.
In one of the video lectures, Walter Lewin adresses this topic too. Don't know which one anymore though...
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoLectures/

I used to wonder how to pronounce 'de Broglie'. I've heard professors say:
Bruye, Broi, Brleoeui etc. (Merriam Webster gives the wrong pronunciation) Feynman even pronounced it like 'Broccoli'. :rolleyes:

Ofcourse all my friends who study literacy stereotypically scoff at this unskill of many exact science practitioners.
(When I spelled the name, it turned out they didn't know how to pronounce it either. One them even studied French :-p )

I had a feeling it was pronounced as brô'yə ([itex]\mbox{br\^oy\ae}[/itex]). Fortunately Humanino confirmed this for me. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
It rhymes with a snooty, Frenchified pronunciation of orange (unless you're in CA, and you have to first learn that it's pronounce ahr-ahnj, not oar-inj) :-p That's the closest I can come up with anything in English that might help with that zh sound.

arh-ahnj? What's this about? I've been eating oar-inj-iz since I was a wee wittle boy, but I've never had an arh-ahnj! What strange language do you speak?! (And I always thought it was closer to oarn-j or however that'd be written out...)

--J