How Do You Simplify Algebraic Fractions from Red to Blue Box?

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying algebraic fractions and understanding the steps taken to solve the problem. The process involves multiplying by fractions in the form of b/b and dividing the top part by h.
ledhead86
Apparently I've forgotten how to simplify algebraic fractions. I included the problem as a picture.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/461491683/476214616XrKOZJ#"
I can't figure out how they went from the red box and then to the green box and then the blue box. Obviously, I understand from the green to purple, but the rest is puzzling me. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, fixed the pic

From red to green, they did this:

[tex] \frac{2}{2+h} -1 = \frac{2}{2+h} - 1\frac{(2+h)}{(2+h)} = \frac{2}{2+h} - \frac{2+h}{2+h}[/tex]

Multiplying by fractions in the form of b/b is equal to multiplication by 1.

From purple to blue:

[tex] \frac{\frac{-h}{2+h}}{h} = \frac{-h}{h(2+h)}[/tex]

They just divided the top part by h, the same way you would do: [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{3}}{2} = \frac{1}{3\times2}[/tex]

Related to How Do You Simplify Algebraic Fractions from Red to Blue Box?

1. How do I simplify algebraic fractions?

To simplify an algebraic fraction, you need to factor both the numerator and denominator and then cancel out any common factors. This will result in a simplified fraction.

2. What is the first step in simplifying algebraic fractions?

The first step in simplifying algebraic fractions is to factor both the numerator and denominator. This will make it easier to identify any common factors that can be canceled out.

3. Can I cancel out variables in algebraic fractions?

Yes, you can cancel out variables in algebraic fractions as long as they have the same exponent. For example, you can cancel out the variable "x" in both the numerator and denominator if they both have an exponent of 2.

4. How do I know if an algebraic fraction is simplified?

An algebraic fraction is simplified when there are no common factors left to cancel out in the numerator and denominator. In other words, the fraction cannot be reduced any further.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about how to simplify an algebraic fraction?

If you are unsure about how to simplify an algebraic fraction, you can use a calculator or consult a math tutor for assistance. It is important to understand the steps and process of simplifying fractions to avoid making mistakes in the future.