How Do You Solve a Complex Optics Problem Involving Cartesian Ovals?

In summary, the equation of the boundary curve between the media is a function y(x) of x and l. The problem is that the equation cannot be solved for x.
bobquantum

Homework Statement

A point source of light P that is located in a medium 1 with refractive index n1, and its
image O in the medium 2 with refractive index n2 > n1. The
boundary between the two media crosses the plane of the drawing along the curve B. Taking the position of the image as an origin for the Cartesian system of coordinates (x, y), the position of the source can be defined as l on the axis x, and the position of the crosspoint C between the surface B and the axis x as f0. In the 2D – problem, the position of P becomes (l, 0), and the position of C becomes (f0, 0). Basing on the Fermat’s principle, find the equation of the boundary curve B as a function y(x), for particular l and f0.

Homework Equations

Fermat's Principle: Light always travels the path of least time.
Optical length: n1 * l1 = n2 * l2 given two mediums with refractive indexes of n1 and n2, an the length of the light path l1 and l2, respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to set up the equation as follows.

Now, we can use f0 and l to set up the optical length. By Fermat's Principle, we should have the optical length of every other path equal to this optical length, which is (l-f0) * n1 + f0 * n2

Let a point X(x, y) be on the boundary curve B. Thus, using the distance formula, we can set up the following equation:

n1 * sqrt ((l-x) ^2 + y^2) + n2 * sqrt (x^2 + y^2) = (l-f0) *n1 + f0 * n2.

The problem is, I cannot solve this equation. I have tried Wolfram Alpha, but it cannot solve for this equation in terms of x. PLEASE HELP ALL PHYSICS GENIUSES.

Thank you,
Bobquantum

Physics news on Phys.org
Show a figure please.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Show the figure please. How does the curve B look like? You need the equation of the curve for the solution.

ehild

Isn't the equation of the curve the thing you are meant to solve for?

Oh sorry, I have not read the whole problem, just missed a figure to understand the problem.

Those two square roots are scary. Try to do it in polar coordinates. You get R with the Cosine Law, and then solve the equation n1R+n2r=n1(L-f0)+n2f0 for r in terms of φ.

ehild

Attachments

• fermat.JPG
    fermat.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
The problem is, I am not allowed to introduce more variables (i.e. no radius of curvature or angles). I must solve using the variables given. I wonder if there is a simpler way to represent x and y in a function. This is a POPTOR question by the way, but the deadline is past, so you guys don't have to worry about violating any rules. Just wanted to know if I did it correctly.

Your equation is correct, it is only terrible to solve it that way. It would mean moving one square root to the other side, then squaring the whole equation, then isolating the remaining square root, and squaring the equation again.
When using polar coordinates, you represent x by x=r cos(phi) and y by y=r sin(phi). They are just notations, to make the solution easier. If you get the function r(phi) you can transform back to x and y. But it is still a very complicated thing.
I could not find any simpler method. Anyway, your equation is an implicit definition of y(x) if you replace y by y(x).:wink:

I outline the solution in terms of r and phi.

[tex]n_2r +n_1R=n_1(L-f_0)+n_2f_0[/tex]
[tex]R^2=r^2+L^2-2rRcos(\phi)[/tex]
Isolate R from the first eq.

[tex]R=L+(n_2/n_1-1)f_0- n_2/n_1r[/tex]

Introduce the notations n2/n1=n (it is the refractive index of medium 2 with respect to medium 1) and [itex]L+(n_2/n_1-1)f_0=A[/itex], and substitute for R into the second equation
[tex](A-nr)^2=L^2+r^2-2rLcos(\phi)[/tex].
It is quadratic for r.

[tex]r^2(n^2-1)-2r(An-Lcos(\phi)+(A^2-L^2)=0[/tex]

I calculated the curve for n=1.4, L=1, fo=0.5.

ehild

Attachments

• fermatp.jpg
    fermatp.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 421

Related to How Do You Solve a Complex Optics Problem Involving Cartesian Ovals?

1. What is a "Highly Challenging Optics Problem"?

A Highly Challenging Optics Problem refers to a complex and difficult problem in the field of optics that requires advanced knowledge and skills to solve. These problems often involve intricate mathematical calculations and require innovative thinking to find a solution.

2. Why are Highly Challenging Optics Problems important in the field of science?

Highly Challenging Optics Problems help scientists and researchers to push the boundaries of knowledge and understanding in the field of optics. These problems often lead to new discoveries and advancements in technology, making them crucial for scientific progress.

3. How do scientists approach solving Highly Challenging Optics Problems?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical knowledge, experimental techniques, and computational tools to solve Highly Challenging Optics Problems. They also collaborate with other experts in the field to brainstorm and find innovative solutions.

4. What are some examples of Highly Challenging Optics Problems?

Some examples of Highly Challenging Optics Problems include the development of highly efficient solar cells, improving the resolution of optical microscopes, and creating advanced optical communication systems. These problems require a deep understanding of optics principles and advanced problem-solving skills.

5. How can one prepare for tackling Highly Challenging Optics Problems?

To prepare for solving Highly Challenging Optics Problems, one should have a strong foundation in optics principles and mathematical methods. Continuously learning and staying updated on advancements in the field is also crucial. Additionally, practicing problem-solving techniques and collaborating with other experts can also help in preparing for these challenges.