How do your habits change with the seasons?

In summary, the speaker discusses their experiences with the different seasons in various locations. They mention how Fall in the Eastern USA often puts them in a melancholy mood, while they enjoy Spring and Summer the most. They also mention how their habits and preferences change with the weather, such as drinking more coffee and eating warmer foods in the winter, and being more active in hotter temperatures. They also note that they tend to slow down and gain weight during the colder winter months.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In my current location there isn't a distinct Fall season. When I lived in the Eastern USA, Fall often put me in a quiet and melancholy mood. I read alot.

In the winter, I go to bed earlier, drink more coffee, and eat more hot foods. All this has to do with the desire to be warm. Yet my house isn't cold and I live in a relatively warm climate - Southern NM.

Spring and Summer are my favorite seasons. I'm more likely to work outside in 95F temperatures that to work outside in mild winter termperatures of 55F. Of course at 95F, I don't want to work in the direct sun.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm living in New England (North Eastern US) - and the fall is marvelous. I walk 6 miles a day and much prefer 40F over 85F.
I do seem to slow down during the deep winter. I usually have a 4 pound weight gain during January and February.

1. How do my eating habits change with the seasons?

As the weather changes, our bodies have different needs for energy and nutrients. In colder months, we tend to crave warm, hearty foods that provide us with energy to keep warm. In warmer months, our bodies may crave lighter, cooler foods that help us stay hydrated.

2. Do my sleeping habits change with the seasons?

Yes, they can. In the winter, our bodies produce more melatonin due to the longer nights and lack of sunlight, making us feel more tired. In the summer, the longer days and more sunlight can disrupt our sleep patterns and make it harder to fall asleep.

3. How do my exercise habits change with the seasons?

During warmer months, we tend to be more active and spend more time outdoors, participating in activities like swimming, hiking, or biking. In colder months, we may be less motivated to exercise and may opt for indoor activities like yoga or weightlifting.

4. Why do I tend to get sick more often in the winter?

There are a few reasons for this. Firstly, in colder months we spend more time indoors in close proximity to others, making it easier for illnesses to spread. Secondly, our immune systems may be weaker in the winter due to lack of sunlight and vitamin D, which plays a crucial role in our immune function.

5. How can I adjust my habits to better align with the seasons?

It's important to listen to your body and adapt your habits accordingly. For example, in the winter, make sure to eat warm, nourishing foods and get enough sleep. In the summer, stay hydrated and take advantage of the longer days to be more active. It's also important to maintain a healthy lifestyle year-round to support your body's needs.