How does a current source work in Norton's Therom

In summary: When r approaches zero, the voltage across the source remains 10 volts, but the current through the load decreases asymptotically to zero.
dushyanth
Hi.i know that a ideal current source has infinite resistance and it supply's constant current to aload connected across it. The current source doesn't have the infinite resistance in series to it but in pparalle. All is well until I think of this Norton's Therom. When we transform a voltage source to current source we connect the same thevinin resistance in parallel to current source (now it's name is Norton's resistance). So for an ideal voltage source the internal residence is zero and all the voltage across it is dropped across the load only. But when we transform it we connect zero resistance across a current source (as per Norton) no current passes through the load as the current source is shorted?? How is it possible that Norton's Therom it's true this case? Correct me if I am wrong.http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Theory/images/norton_th.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi dushyanth. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Don't overlook the need to set VTh = R × IN

▻ What is the open circuit voltage across AB in each of the above?
▻ What is the short circuit current when you place a short across AB?

Your answers in each part should be identical.
http://thumbnails112.imagebam.com/37333/0363e9373324851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dushyanth
NascentOxygen said:
Hi dushyanth. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Don't overlook the need to set VTh = R × IN

▻ What is the open circuit voltage across AB in each of the above?
▻ What is the short circuit current when you place a short across AB?

Your answers in each part should be identical.
http://thumbnails112.imagebam.com/37333/0363e9373324851.jpg
Can you please elaborate?

Last edited by a moderator:
dushyanth said:
Can you please elaborate?
On what specifically?

dushyanth said:
So for an ideal voltage source the internal residence is zero and all the voltage across it is dropped across the load only. But when we transform it we connect zero resistance across a current source (as per Norton) no current passes through the load as the current source is shorted?? How is it possible that Norton's Therom it's true this case? Correct me if I am wrong.
I seem to have missed the significance of what you were asking in your OP.

Rather than look at the extreme case, it is more enlightening to consider what happens as the internal resistance gets progressively smaller. Take, for example, a source having V = 10 volts and r = 10 ohms, and determine the Norton equivalent of this voltage source. Now, recalculate with smaller values of r, say, 1 ohm, 0.1 ohms, 0.0001 ohms, and 0.00000001 ohms.

Comment on the trend you observe as r approaches 0.

1. How does a current source work in Norton's Theorem?

In Norton's Theorem, a current source is used to represent a circuit that has a constant current flowing through it, regardless of the voltage across it. This means that the current source will have a fixed value and will not change as other components in the circuit vary.

2. What is the purpose of using a current source in Norton's Theorem?

The use of a current source in Norton's Theorem simplifies the analysis of a circuit by replacing complex networks of resistors, capacitors, and inductors with a single component. This makes it easier to calculate the characteristics of the circuit, such as voltage, current, and power.

3. How is a current source represented in Norton's Theorem?

In Norton's Theorem, a current source is represented by a short circuit with a current source connected in parallel. This means that the current source will have the same voltage across it as the short circuit, and the current through it will be the same as the current source value.

4. What is the difference between a current source and a voltage source in Norton's Theorem?

A current source provides a constant current, while a voltage source provides a constant voltage. In Norton's Theorem, a voltage source is represented by an open circuit in parallel with a voltage source, whereas a current source is represented by a short circuit in parallel with a current source.

5. How can I use Norton's Theorem to simplify a circuit with multiple current sources?

In a circuit with multiple current sources, you can use Norton's Theorem to replace each current source with a single equivalent current source. This will reduce the complexity of the circuit and make it easier to analyze and solve for the desired characteristics.