Understanding Basic Electronics: A 9V Battery & Two 9V Bulbs

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining whether a basic circuit consisting of a 9V battery and two 9V light bulbs would work. The individual asked about the power supply, maximum power allowed to be dissipated by each bulb, and whether the battery could supply enough current for both bulbs. The expert advised that the bulbs can be connected in parallel, but the battery may discharge faster and may not provide enough power if it is near the end of its life. The conversation ended with a humorous exchange about the intention of the question and the expectation of receiving an answer.
Boltzman Oscillation
Homework Statement:: How can I determine whether my basic circuit will work? A battery and two light sources.
Homework Equations:: conceptual question, use basic ohms law, current law, voltage law, etc.

This is not a homework question, i am just trying to understand electronics better. I am in my last year of electrical engineering undergraduate courses and I never understood some basic applications. Let me describe a scenario:

I have a 9V battery, two 9 volt bulbs. Can I connect these properly with both light sources connected correctly?

Firstly, is my instinct that I don't have enough information correct? This is how I want to approach this question. I want to know how much POWER i supply to the circuit, then I want to know how much maximum power is allowed to be dissipated by each bulb. Am I going in the right direction? If so then I would calculate the maximum power that my source can provide by multiplying its maximum voltage to its maximum current. I can keep going but I want to know your opinion about my current method. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should be able to connect those two 9V bulbs in parallel, fed by the 9V battery. The other considerations are that the battery will discharge twice as fast as with one bulb, of course, and if the battery is near the end of its life, it may have too low of an output voltage and too high of a source resistance to light the bulbs well. Does that help, or am I missing the point of your question? :smile:

Boltzman Oscillation said:
then I want to know how much maximum power is allowed to be dissipated by each bulb.
That is a property of the bulb or LED or whatever. You need to get that data from the manufacturer. Old fashioned incandescent light bulbs had a label like 60W for 60 watts of power printed on the package.

Can I connect these properly with both light sources connected correctly?
I have no idea what this means. In communicating about circuits, a schematic of some sort is the best approach.

berkeman said:
You should be able to connect those two 9V bulbs in parallel, fed by the 9V battery. The other considerations are that the battery will discharge twice as fast as with one bulb, of course, and if the battery is near the end of its life, it may have too low of an output voltage and too high of a source resistance to light the bulbs well. Does that help, or am I missing the point of your question? :smile:
Thank you. I can connect these two bulbs in parallel because the voltage will be 9 volts across both according to the Kirkoffs voltage law. Am I correct to think that I need to make sure the battery will supply enough current for both bulbs too?

Am I correct to think that I need to make sure the battery will supply enough current for both bulbs too?
Yes ... so you were asked earlier to tell us the wattage rating of the bulbs
did you find that out ? and what is your 9V battery ?
If it is the standard PP3 type like this ...

th.jpg

and the bulbs/globes are more than about 1/4 watt The battery won't last long
as those batteries can only supply around 300mADave

davenn said:
Yes ... so you were asked earlier to tell us the wattage rating of the bulbs
did you find that out ? and what is your 9V battery ?
If it is the standard PP3 type like this ...

View attachment 255856
and the bulbs/globes are more than about 1/4 watt The battery won't last long
as those batteries can only supply around 300mADave
Sorry Dave, this question was asked to gain a further understanding of the application itself; I had to intention to get an actual answer. Thank you for the insight, I am confident in my erudition on this application now.

• Sad
Likes davenn
I had to intention to get an actual answer.

Far out ... if you don't want answers, DONT ask questions !
You asked a Q ...

Am I correct to think that I need to make sure the battery will supply enough current for both bulbs too?

Did you not expect someone to answer it ??

• Haha
Likes phinds
Sorry Dave, this question was asked to gain a further understanding of the application itself; I had to intention to get an actual answer. Thank you for the insight, I am confident in my erudition on this application now.
davenn said:
Far out ... if you don't want answers, DONT ask questions !
LOL Dave. :smile:

I'm just guessing and trying to read between the lines of what the OP posted, and I'm thinking he meant that he was trying to understand the overall concepts of light bulb ratings, etc., and not the details of battery life in an actual application. Of course, I could be wrong, but whatever.

Likes davenn
berkeman said:
LOL Dave. :smile:

I'm just guessing and trying to read between the lines of what the OP posted, and I'm thinking he meant that he was trying to understand the overall concepts of light bulb ratings, etc., and not the details of battery life in an actual application. Of course, I could be wrong, but whatever.
yes, i wanted to learn the concept and not the details. I learn from examples and scenarios. Thank you Dave

• Sad
Likes davenn
i wanted to learn the concept and not the details.

Well the "devil is in the details"

my comment stands, if you don't want answers DONT ask question

[Moderator: snark removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:
davenn said:
Well the "devil is in the details"

my comment stands, if you don't want answers DONT ask question

[Moderator: snark removed.]
Aye, ill keep that in mind.

"I am in my last year of electrical engineering undergraduate courses and I never understood some basic applications. "
I find this extremely difficult to believe. In addition, your other posts seem to have a ring of "troll" about them, rather like asking "which way up does a cat land if it has a piece of buttered-side-up toast strapped to its back?"

Likes davenn
I think the OP has been adequately answered.

Thread closed.

1. What is a 9V battery and how does it work?

A 9V battery is a small, rectangular-shaped power source commonly used in electronic devices. It works by converting chemical energy into electrical energy through a chemical reaction between its two electrodes and an electrolyte solution.

2. How do two 9V bulbs connect to the battery?

The positive terminal of the battery is connected to the positive terminal of one bulb, while the negative terminal of the battery is connected to the negative terminal of the other bulb. This creates a parallel circuit where both bulbs receive the same voltage from the battery.

3. Why do the bulbs light up when connected to the 9V battery?

The bulbs light up because the electrical current from the battery flows through the filament of the bulbs, which heats up and produces light. This is known as the Joule heating effect.

4. Can different types of bulbs be used with a 9V battery?

Yes, as long as the voltage and current requirements of the bulbs are within the range of the battery. However, using bulbs with higher voltage or current requirements may cause the battery to drain faster.

5. Is it safe to connect multiple 9V batteries together?

Yes, as long as they are connected in series (positive terminal to negative terminal) to create a higher voltage output. However, connecting them in parallel (positive terminal to positive terminal) can cause the batteries to drain unevenly and potentially damage them.