How does a non-linear Schrodinger equation implies non-unitary evolution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave-function collapse and the use of non-linearities in the Schrodinger equation to describe it. The speaker questions the connection between a non-linear Schrodinger equation and loss of unitarity, while also mentioning the possibility of non-hermitian Hamiltonians that are still unitary. The term "loss of unitarity" is defined as the breakdown of a superposition.
IRobot
Hi,

I several times heard that one way to describe the collapse of the wave-function is to add non linearities in the Schrodinger equation (I know that this approaches are not convincing but that's not my point), however, I don't see why a non linear SE would imply loss of unitarity? As long as the Hamiltonian is hermitean, or real if you see it as a function of [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\psi^*[/itex], we can derive an equation of probability conservation.

Physics news on Phys.org
you call, loss of unitarity, to the breakdown of the superposition ?
------
and apart there are non hermitian hamiltonians that are unitary.
Mostafazadeh, Bender.

Well, I would call loss of unitarity any loss of unitarity, but as I heard of using non-linearities to describe wave-function collapse, and the breakdown of a superposition is non unitary evolution, I'd say maybe =)

Related to How does a non-linear Schrodinger equation implies non-unitary evolution?

1. What is the non-linear Schrodinger equation?

The non-linear Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of quantum systems with non-linear interactions. It is an extension of the Schrodinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of quantum systems with linear interactions.

2. How does the non-linear Schrodinger equation differ from the linear Schrodinger equation?

The non-linear Schrodinger equation differs from the linear Schrodinger equation in that it allows for non-linear interactions between particles, whereas the linear Schrodinger equation only allows for linear interactions. This means that the non-linear Schrodinger equation can describe more complex systems and behaviors.

3. How does the non-linear Schrodinger equation imply non-unitary evolution?

The non-linear Schrodinger equation implies non-unitary evolution because it allows for the possibility of particles to interact and become entangled with their environment. This leads to a loss of information about the system, which results in a non-unitary evolution of the system.

4. What are some examples of systems that are described by the non-linear Schrodinger equation?

The non-linear Schrodinger equation is used to describe a wide range of physical systems, including Bose-Einstein condensates, nonlinear optical systems, and certain types of superconductors. It is also used in fields such as quantum chemistry and quantum biology to model complex molecular interactions.

5. How does the non-linear Schrodinger equation impact our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The non-linear Schrodinger equation has played a significant role in advancing our understanding of quantum mechanics. It has allowed for a deeper understanding of non-linear interactions and their effects on quantum systems, and has led to the development of new theoretical and experimental techniques for studying these systems. It has also opened up new avenues for research and applications in various fields, such as quantum computing and quantum information processing.