How Does a Plane Wave Affect the Metric in a Weak Gravitational Field?

In summary: Finally, we can substitute in the value for ##h_{xx}## given in the homework statement, which is ##h_{xx} = A_{xx}e^{i\omega(z-t)} = A_{xx}sin(\omega(z-t))
Silviu

Homework Statement

Show that a plane wave with ##A_{xy}=0## (see below) has the metric ##ds^2=-dt^2+(1+h_+)dx^2+(1-h_+)dy^2+dz^2##, where ##h_+=A_{xx}sin[\omega(t-z)]##

Homework Equations

##h_{\mu \nu}## is small perturbation of the Minkowski metric i.e. in the space now ##g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu} ##. If we go in TT gauge, and consider a plane traveling in the z direction ##k = (\omega,0,0,\omega)##, we have ##h_{\mu \nu}^{TT}=A_{\mu \nu}^{TT}exp(ik_\alpha x^\alpha)##, with ##A_{\mu \nu}^{TT} = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & A_{xx} & A_{xy} & 0 \\
0 & A_{xy} & -A_{xx} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}##
This is from Schutz page 205 Second edition

The Attempt at a Solution

So as ##g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu} ## and only ##h_{xx}## and ##h_{yy}## are non-zero, we have ##h_{xx}=A_{xx}e^{i\omega(z-t)}##. For ##dt^2## and ##dz^2## it is obvious that they remain the same but for ##dx^2## for example, the coefficient would be ##1+A_{xx}e^{i\omega(z-t)}##. How do I get from this to ##1+A_{xx}sin[\omega(t-z)]##? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. To show that the given plane wave has the metric ##ds^2=-dt^2+(1+h_+)dx^2+(1-h_+)dy^2+dz^2##, we can start by writing out the metric in terms of the Minkowski metric and the perturbation ##h_{\mu \nu}##:

$$ds^2 = \eta_{\mu \nu}dx^\mu dx^\nu + h_{\mu \nu}dx^\mu dx^\nu$$

Next, we can substitute in the values for ##h_{\mu \nu}## given in the homework statement:

$$ds^2 = \eta_{\mu \nu}dx^\mu dx^\nu + A_{\mu \nu}^{TT}e^{ik_\alpha x^\alpha}dx^\mu dx^\nu$$

Since we are considering a plane wave in the z-direction, we can simplify this further by setting ##k_\alpha x^\alpha = \omega(z-t)##:

$$ds^2 = \eta_{\mu \nu}dx^\mu dx^\nu + A_{\mu \nu}^{TT}e^{i\omega(z-t)}dx^\mu dx^\nu$$

Now, we can use the TT gauge condition to simplify the perturbation further. In TT gauge, the perturbation satisfies ##h_{0\mu} = 0## and ##h_{ij} = 0##, where ##i,j=1,2,3##. This means that the only non-zero components of the perturbation are ##h_{xx}## and ##h_{yy}##. Substituting this into the equation above, we get:

$$ds^2 = \eta_{\mu \nu}dx^\mu dx^\nu + \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & h_{xx} & h_{xy} & 0 \\
0 & h_{xy} & -h_{xx} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}e^{i\omega(z-t)}dx^\mu dx^\nu$$

Since ##h_{xy} = A_{xy}e^{i\omega(z-t)} = 0##, we can ignore it in the above equation. This leaves us with

1. What is a weak gravitational field?

A weak gravitational field refers to a region of space where the force of gravity is relatively low compared to other regions. This can occur near smaller objects or at greater distances from massive objects.

2. How is a weak gravitational field different from a strong gravitational field?

A strong gravitational field is one where the force of gravity is significantly higher, often near massive objects like planets or stars. In contrast, a weak gravitational field has a lower force of gravity and can have a weaker influence on objects within it.

3. What causes a weak gravitational field?

A weak gravitational field is typically caused by the presence of less massive objects or objects that are further away. In these cases, the force of gravity is weaker due to the inverse-square law, which states that the force of gravity decreases as the distance between objects increases.

4. How is a weak gravitational field measured?

A weak gravitational field can be measured using instruments such as gravimeters or accelerometers. These devices can detect and measure the acceleration caused by gravity, which can then be used to calculate the strength of the gravitational field.

5. What are some real-world applications of weak gravitational fields?

Weak gravitational fields have important implications in fields such as astronomy, space exploration, and geology. They can help us understand the dynamics of celestial objects, track the movement of tectonic plates, and even aid in the design of spacecraft trajectories.