How does a variable-inertia flywheel store and transfer energy?

• Thread starter jimgram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flywheel
In summary: Using that energy to re-accelerate the vehicle is not difficult, it's just that you need something to take the energy from the flywheel and put it into something that can use it.
jimgram
If you model a variable-inertia flywheel connected to a load inertia you have fundamentally a single spinning mass with the ability to vary the mass moment of inertia. The total energy of this spinning mass is constant, so when you vary the inertia, the velocity will change in order to satisfy a constant momentum. In so doing, the energy will change. The change will exactly equal the work required to change the position of the variable position mass (flyweight). Therefore, any energy change in the load inertia will be a direct result of the work input. In other words, if you want to transfer 'X' joules from the flywheel to the load, you will need to input 'X' joules to re-position the flyweights. Is this correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jimgram said:
The total energy of this spinning mass is constant, so when you vary the inertia, the velocity will change in order to satisfy a constant momentum. In so doing, the energy will change.
Is it constant or does it change?

Overall energy is conserved, I just don't understand where and how you want to transfer energy.

The fundamental question is: Can we use a variable-inertia flywheel as a power source (e.g. to accelerate a vehicle). I phrased the question poorly. The answer to your question is: I want to transfer energy from the VIF (variable-inertia flywheel) to the load inertia. I understand that the total energy in the system described cannot change without an input of work and that input is required to re-position the flyweights of the VIF. But is there any way that the energy change to the load can exceed the work input?

jimgram said:
Can we use a variable-inertia flywheel as a power source (e.g. to accelerate a vehicle).
You can, but I don't see the point.
You can have masses moving outwards (slowing the rotation), driving something that extracts energy from that motion.
jimgram said:
But is there any way that the energy change to the load can exceed the work input?
Which work input? I'm not a clairvoyant.

mfb said:
Which work input? I'm not a clairvoyant.

jimgram said:
I understand that the total energy in the system described cannot change without an input of work and that input is required to re-position the flyweights of the VIF. But is there any way that the energy change to the load can exceed the work input?

Work is required to re-position flyweights in a variable-inertia flywheel. Positive work (I.E. work in) when inertia is decreased and negative work (I.E. work out) when the moment of inertia is increased. I guess I should have made that clearer.

Flywheels can be used to capture and store kinetic energy in a regenerative braking system for automobiles. Using that energy to re-accelerate the vehicle is not easily accomplished.

I'm not seeing the connection from the speed of the flywheel to powering a device. Variably changing the moment of inertia will change the speed, but the energy stored will be the same. You'll have to do work on the flywheel to move the weights in toward the axis and the flywheel energy could be used to move the weights back out away from the axis, but you still haven't done any useful work there.

About getting the energy back out, there are a few ways to get it back out, both mechanical and electrical. I don't agree it's "not easily accomplished".

Related to How does a variable-inertia flywheel store and transfer energy?

1. What is a variable-inertia flywheel?

A variable-inertia flywheel is a mechanical device that is used to store and release energy in a rotating mass. It consists of a disc or wheel with a high moment of inertia, meaning it requires a lot of force to change its rotational speed. The inertia of the flywheel can be adjusted to fit the specific needs of a particular application.

2. How does a variable-inertia flywheel work?

A variable-inertia flywheel works by storing and releasing kinetic energy. When energy is input into the flywheel, such as through a motor or engine, it causes the flywheel to rotate and store energy in its mass. This stored energy can then be released when needed, such as during a power outage or to provide additional power to a machine.

3. What are the advantages of using a variable-inertia flywheel?

One advantage of using a variable-inertia flywheel is its ability to smooth out fluctuations in power supply. It can store excess energy when it is available and release it when needed, providing a more stable power output. Additionally, it can be used as a backup power source in case of power outages.

4. What are the potential applications of a variable-inertia flywheel?

Variable-inertia flywheels have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in power generation systems, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric plants, to store and release energy. They can also be found in vehicles, where they are used to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a variable-inertia flywheel?

While variable-inertia flywheels have many benefits, they also have some limitations. One limitation is their size and weight, which can make them impractical for certain applications. They also have a limited storage capacity, so they may not be suitable for long-term energy storage. Additionally, they may require regular maintenance and have a higher initial cost compared to other energy storage systems.