How Does Absolute Pressure Differ from Gauge Pressure?

In summary, the gauge will read 1 atm when the volume is halved, because the pressure outside is still 1 atm. However, when the volume is halved, the pressure inside is also doubled, so the absolute pressure is 2 atm.
sgstudent
The formula for absolute pressure is absolute P=gauge P+atmospheric pressure. So when the gauge is at 0 it's actually 1 atm. So using the gas law if I were to half the volume the pressure would increase to 2 atm. So would the gauge read 1 atm when this happens?

So how does the mechanism allow it to read the absolute pressure minus the atmospheric pressure only?

Physics news on Phys.org
You understanding of the math is correct.

The thing to get about how pressure gauges work is that all of them measure differential pressure between two points.

They tend to just be a membrane or similar apparatus that has the atmosphere on one side and what you are measuring on the other.

Hi thanks for the reply :)

Actually its not just a pressure gauge. There's a graduated cylinder with a piston, manometer and temperature sensor. So I thought when we pump in air from the outside the pressure inside would be 1 atm but the gauge would read 0. So now when we half the volume, the pressure doubles. So the absolute pressure should be 2 atm. So using the formula absolute P=gauge P+1atm. Gauge pressure should be 1atm.

However I don't really get why the 1 atm remains constant here. Aren't we just manipulating the 1 atm we already had in there? So I don't get the formula in this sense.

Whatever system is used, it's based on the difference between two pressures. I think your concern is about comparing an external pressure with a reference pressure (inside some reservoir). I think it has to be true that altering the (finite) volume of the inside reservoir will change its pressure (i.e. the internal pressure will no longer be 1atm) but that effect can be eliminated by calibrating the scale on the device.

sgstudent said:
So I don't get the formula in this sense.

P(abs) = P(atm) + P(gauge) IF P(abs) > P(atm)

P(abs) = P(atm) - P(gause) IF P(abs) < P(amt)

I hope this helps ;)

1. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is the pressure measured above atmospheric pressure.

2. How do you measure absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is measured using a pressure gauge that is referenced to a vacuum. Gauge pressure is measured using a pressure gauge that is referenced to the local atmospheric pressure.

3. What are some common units of measurement for absolute and gauge pressure?

Units of measurement for absolute pressure include pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), and pounds per square inch (psi). Units of measurement for gauge pressure include pounds per square inch (psi), bar, and kilopascals (kPa).

4. How are absolute and gauge pressure used in scientific research?

Absolute and gauge pressure are important in many areas of scientific research, such as fluid dynamics, atmospheric studies, and material testing. They are also used in the design and operation of various devices, such as engines and pumps.

5. Can absolute and gauge pressure be converted into each other?

Yes, absolute pressure can be converted into gauge pressure by subtracting the local atmospheric pressure from the total pressure. Gauge pressure can be converted into absolute pressure by adding the local atmospheric pressure to the measured pressure.