How does acoustic levitation use sound waves to make objects float?

• B
  • Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Levitation
In summary: It is, but if you look at the video, the spheres are very sizeable in relation to the wavelength. From some size on, I would think, they will influence the wave itself.Yes, the spheres do have a large effect on the standing wave, but the video doesn't go into too much detail about how they do it. They use two horns and sound waves move between them.
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I had ever seen this effect demonstrated before. Thanks for sharing. I subscribe to Smarter Every Day, and I have gone back and watched a lot of his old videos, but I must've missed this one.

Don't forget that sound is a longitudinal wave, so rather than "shaking" the air, between the horns, from side to side, it moves it up and down. I assume the "levitated" styrene balls stabilise themselves at a displacement node, where it is calm, a bit like the sand on those Chladni plates.

Likes scottdave
PeterO said:
Don't forget that sound is a longitudinal wave, so rather than "shaking" the air, between the horns, from side to side, it moves it up and down. I assume the "levitated" styrene balls stabilise themselves at a displacement node, where it is calm, a bit like the sand on those Chladni plates.

Yes, they show that in the video.

It's interesting though how they are able to do more than one. I could see a single placed object disrupting the shape of the standing wave.

The placement isn't disrupting the standing wave though because this is the zero point where nothing moves.

It is, but if you look at the video, the spheres are very sizeable in relation to the wavelength. From some size on, I would think, they will influence the wave itself.

Btw, maybe I missed this in the video, but how do they achieve the horizontal confinement?

The top and bottom plates vibrate and they have a good sized diameter larger than the balls being suspended.

rumborak said:
It's interesting though how they are able to do more than one. I could see a single placed object disrupting the shape of the standing wave.

But the object is not disrupting the standing wave, the standing wave is disrupting the object's normal motion it prevents it from falling.

What is Awesome Sonic Levitation?

Awesome Sonic Levitation is a scientific phenomenon where an object or substance is suspended in mid-air using sound waves. It is also known as acoustic levitation.

How does Awesome Sonic Levitation work?

Awesome Sonic Levitation uses sound waves to create a standing wave pattern that produces nodes and antinodes. The nodes are areas of low pressure, while the antinodes are areas of high pressure. The object or substance is then trapped in the antinodes, effectively levitating it.

What types of objects or substances can be levitated using Awesome Sonic Levitation?

Awesome Sonic Levitation can be used to levitate a wide range of objects and substances, including liquids, solids, and even live animals. The only requirement is that the object or substance must have a density lower than that of air.

What are the potential applications of Awesome Sonic Levitation?

Awesome Sonic Levitation has a variety of potential applications in different fields, such as pharmaceuticals, chemical reactions, and material science. It can also be used for non-contact handling and transportation of delicate objects, as well as for creating 3D printing structures.

Are there any limitations to Awesome Sonic Levitation?

While Awesome Sonic Levitation has many potential applications, there are also some limitations. It can only levitate objects that are smaller than the wavelength of the sound waves being used. Additionally, precise control and stabilization are necessary for levitating objects for extended periods.