IB Physics Extended Essay - Quantum Levitation

In summary: Basically, the superconductor is able to lock a magnetic field in place, causing objects to float above it.
kipling_01
TL;DR Summary
IB Physics Extended Essay - Quantum Levitation w/ Meissner Effect; Object locked in space
I've decided to focus my essay on quantum locking: including superconductors (YBCO), the Meissner Effect. I have access to the materials needed to experiment with this topic (materials from quantumlevitation.com). Could anyone help me formulate an appropriate research question for my Extended Essay in this field of science?

Some ideas I had in mind was to discuss the Meissner Effect in Superconductors when cooled down to a critical temperature with liquid nitrogen. I was inspired to this topic when watching a talk on TED.com about quantum locking and quantum levitation (video here:

I have access to the materials above. I want to investigate the physics behind it and discuss how it can be used for future applications, as a new way to transmit energy frictionless, not allowing the material to waste any of its energy into heat.

Would this research question be appropriate for my Extended Essay:

1) What is the relationship between the Meissner Effect and the Conservation of Mechanical Energy?

I am still confused as to what is the appropriate format for an IB Physics Extended Essay. Please respond if you can contribute any help. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1564758373733.gif
    1564758373733.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org
kipling_01 said:
Summary: IB Physics Extended Essay - Quantum Levitation w/ Meissner Effect; Object locked in space

I want to investigate the physics behind it and discuss how it can be used for future applications, as a new way to transmit energy frictionless, not allowing the material to waste any of its energy into heat.
Sounds like an interesting essay. Can you say what the primary stumbling block is currently that is keeping this from happening? What efforts can you find to try to get around that stumbling block?

But, what the heck, is "quantum levitation"? The Meissner effect is clear (Higgs mechanism for the em. field aka BCS theory), but what has this to do with "levitation"?

It is otherwise known as quantum locking due to the Meissner effect on the superconductor when at a critical temperature. You can view a demonstration in the video link above.

1. What is quantum levitation?

Quantum levitation is a phenomenon in which a superconductor is able to levitate above a magnetic field due to the Meissner effect, which causes the superconductor to expel magnetic fields from its interior.

2. How does quantum levitation work?

Quantum levitation works due to the properties of superconductors, which are materials that can conduct electricity with zero resistance at very low temperatures. When a superconductor is cooled below its critical temperature, it expels magnetic fields from its interior, creating a repulsive force that allows it to levitate above a magnetic field.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum levitation?

Quantum levitation has potential applications in transportation, such as levitating trains, as well as in energy storage and medical imaging. It also has potential uses in quantum computing and other advanced technologies.

4. What factors affect the strength of quantum levitation?

The strength of quantum levitation is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the temperature of the superconductor, and the type of superconductor used. Higher magnetic fields and lower temperatures generally result in stronger levitation.

5. What are the challenges in studying quantum levitation?

One of the main challenges in studying quantum levitation is creating and maintaining the extremely low temperatures required for superconductivity. Additionally, the properties of superconductors can be complex and difficult to understand, making it a challenging topic to research and experiment with.