How Does Adding a Mass Impact Vibration Amplitude in an Undamped System?

• Thread starter jasonbot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vibration
In summary: You even remembered to add the 12 kg to the mass of the compressor. I don't see any mistakes. The only thing I might suggest is that you state that you are solving for the changed displacement amplitude in your summary. So it would be "In summary, the changed displacement amplitude for the overall system is -0.000109m." But overall, you did a great job summarizing the content.
jasonbot

Homework Statement

An air compressor of mass m1 = 150 kg is mounted on a spring of stiffness k1= 3000 N/m. The measured
displacement amplitude X1 = 0.0002 m at the operating speed of N = 1800 r/min. If an undamped isolation
system with mass m2=12 kg and a natural frequency w2 = 105 rad/s is fixed to the compressor, calculate the
changed displacement amplitude X1 for the overall system

Homework Equations

As far as I understand this is the relevant equation: X1/delta_st=(1-(omega/omega2)^2)/((1+k2/k1-(omega/omega_1)^2)(1-(omega/omega_2)^2)-k2/k1)

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I understand its a vibration absorber problem.

omega=1800*(2π/60)=188,5rad/s
omega1=(k1/m1)^.5=4.47
k2=omega_2^2*m2=105^2*12=132300N/m

X1/delta_st=(1-(omega/omega2)^2)/((1+k2/k1-(omega/omega_1)^2)(1-(omega/omega_2)^2)-k2/k1)

X1/delta_st=-5,836x10^-4

delta_st=-0,342m

I don't think that's right :|

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a dynamic absorber problem. While I have not gone through your arithmetic, I see that delta_st is static deflection which is how much the weight of the compressor deflects the spring under static conditions.

You should be solving for X1. Here is your equation: X1/delta_st=-5,836x10^-4
Solve it for X1 by plugging in delta_st.

That makes sense actually.

So assuming that I go

delta_st=F0/k=(150+12)*9.81/3000=0.52974

X1=delta_st*-5,836x10^-4=-0.000309

so then I'm assuming the changed displacement amplitude will be the difference between measured and X1 from calculations.

so X1'=-0.000309+0.0002=-0.000109mOh and thanks! <--- Sorry I forgot to add that :|

Last edited:
That looks good to me. I went through your arithmetic...

I would approach this problem by first double checking the equations and calculations used in the attempt at a solution. I would also make sure to clearly define all variables and units to avoid any errors. Additionally, I would consider the assumptions made in the problem and whether they are valid for the given scenario. If necessary, I would consult with other experts or resources to verify the solution or seek guidance on how to approach the problem.

1. What is a vibration absorber and how does it work?

A vibration absorber is a device used to reduce the amount of vibration in a system. It typically consists of a mass connected to a spring or damper, which is attached to the vibrating structure. The mass and spring work together to absorb and dissipate the energy of the vibrations, reducing their amplitude and frequency.

2. What types of systems can benefit from using a vibration absorber?

Vibration absorbers can be used in a wide range of systems, including mechanical, electrical, and structural systems. They are commonly used in vehicles, industrial machinery, and buildings to reduce unwanted vibrations and improve overall performance and durability.

3. How do you determine the appropriate size and placement of a vibration absorber?

The size and placement of a vibration absorber depend on several factors, including the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations, the mass of the vibrating structure, and the desired level of vibration reduction. Calculations and simulations can be used to determine the optimal parameters for a given system.

4. Can a vibration absorber eliminate all vibrations in a system?

No, a vibration absorber cannot completely eliminate all vibrations in a system. It can only reduce the amplitude and frequency of the vibrations. The effectiveness of a vibration absorber also depends on the type and severity of the vibrations, as well as the quality and design of the absorber itself.

5. What are the benefits of using a vibration absorber?

Using a vibration absorber can have several benefits, including reducing noise levels, improving performance and efficiency, and increasing the lifespan of the system. It can also improve safety by reducing the risk of component failure or structural damage caused by excessive vibrations.