How Does Changing Plate Radius Affect Capacitance in a Parallel Plate Capacitor?

In summary, we are discussing a parallel plate capacitor made of two circular metal plates with a separation of 1.6mm. The first question asks for the required radius of the plates to achieve a capacitance of 2.8 micro F. For the second question, we are asked to determine whether the radius should be increased or decreased if the separation between the plates is decreased in order to maintain the capacitance. Finally, we are given a plate separation of 3mm and asked to find the radius that would result in a capacitance of 2.8 micro F. To calculate capacitance, we use the formula C = ε*A/d, where ε represents the permittivity (εo for air), A is the area
papi
Consider a parallel plate capacitor constructed from two circular metal plates of radius R. The plates are separated by a distance of 1.6mm

a. What radius must the plates have if the capacitence is 2.8 micro F?

b. if the separation between the plates is decreased, should the radius of the plates be increased or decreased to maintain the capacitence? PLEASE EXPLAIN

c. Find the radius of the plates that gives a capacitence of 2.8 micro F for a plate separation of 3 mm

I know C=Q/V but how does that help here?

Physics news on Phys.org
i still don't get it at all. would d=2R and I don't know the E here.. it isn't given

papi said:
i still don't get it at all. would d=2R and I don't know the E here.. it isn't given

Throw me a bone here. It's not E. It's ε - permittivity. It would be εo for air. A is area (the radius might help with that) and d is the distance between the plates.

Try reading the link again if you are confused.

Related to How Does Changing Plate Radius Affect Capacitance in a Parallel Plate Capacitor?

What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy by using two parallel conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. It is a common type of capacitor used in electronic circuits and can be found in many everyday devices.

How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to the two plates, an electric field is created between them. This field causes the accumulation of opposite charges on each plate, creating an electric potential difference. The greater the distance between the plates and the larger the surface area, the greater the capacitance of the capacitor.

What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material used between the plates all affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor. A larger distance and surface area, as well as a higher dielectric constant, will result in a higher capacitance.

What are the main applications of parallel plate capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits for filtering, timing, and energy storage. They can also be found in power supplies, audio equipment, and radio frequency circuits.

How do you calculate the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. This formula assumes that the electric field is uniform between the plates.