How Does Classical Radiation Pressure Depend on Brightness and Frequency?

In summary, classical radiation pressure depends on the brightness and frequency of the radiation. The pressure increases with increasing brightness and frequency, as more photons are emitted and carry more momentum. This effect is known as the photoelectric effect and was first described by Albert Einstein. Additionally, the intensity of the radiation also plays a role in the amount of pressure exerted, with higher intensity leading to a greater pressure. Overall, the classical theory of radiation pressure explains how the properties of light can influence the force it exerts on objects.
luckis11
The known Radiation Pressure equation is based on Special Relativity as I saw here:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node90.html

I do not want relativistic. I want is a classical one that shows distinctivly the factor of brightness and the factor of frequency (colour) that increase Pressure. I.e. the ... brighter the light of the lamp is, the higher the Pressure. But brightness can change with no colour change. And also the higher the frequency, the higher the Pressure because that's what they say for gamma rays.

I would not say no to a such equation that shows the "relativistic" E=hf because it is...not based on special relativity! They also say it for the phonon of the sound where there is no relativity there: Phonon is just a wavefront.

I find it impossible to find that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Brightness" is not a very well-defined quantity.
Special relativity pops up everywhere when you talk about radiation pressure. No problem with that. You can find the pressure purely in terms of classical quantities like the intensity or the energy density.

What you can avoid is quantum mechanics. E=hf, the energy of a photon, is an equation of quantum mechanics, not relativity.

Related to How Does Classical Radiation Pressure Depend on Brightness and Frequency?

What is the radiation pressure equation?

The radiation pressure equation is a mathematical formula that describes the force exerted by radiation on an object. It is given by P = (I/c)A, where P is the radiation pressure, I is the intensity of the radiation, c is the speed of light, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

How is the radiation pressure equation derived?

The radiation pressure equation is derived from the concept of momentum conservation in electromagnetism. When a photon, which carries momentum, strikes an object, it transfers its momentum to the object, resulting in a force known as radiation pressure.

What are the units of the radiation pressure equation?

The units of the radiation pressure equation are Newtons per square meter (N/m2). This is because the intensity of radiation is measured in Watts per square meter (W/m2) and the speed of light is measured in meters per second (m/s).

What are some real-life applications of the radiation pressure equation?

The radiation pressure equation has various applications in fields such as astronomy, space propulsion, and laser technology. For example, it is used to calculate the pressure exerted by sunlight on spacecraft, to design solar sails for interstellar travel, and to understand the behavior of laser beams.

How does the radiation pressure equation relate to the electromagnetic spectrum?

The radiation pressure equation is closely related to the electromagnetic spectrum, as it describes the force exerted by all types of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, and microwaves. The intensity of the radiation determines the strength of the force, and different types of radiation have different intensities, resulting in varying levels of radiation pressure.