How does energy affect the melting point of water?

In summary, the electric heater in the graph warms the water 10 degrees every 75 seconds, and to melt ice it needs to reach a temperature of 0 degrees. However, simply reaching 0 degrees is not enough to melt ice as it also requires a certain amount of energy. This is similar to the process of turning 100 degree water into steam, where additional energy is needed to change its state from liquid to gas. Therefore, it is important to consider the energy aspect when discussing the power of the heater and the process of melting ice.
physicsstudent111
Homework Statement
A 0.25 kg piece of ice is warmed by an electric heater and the following graph of temperature is produced. Assume that there has been no loss of energy to the surroundings
a) How much additional time after 150s will be required to melt all the ice
Relevant Equations
Q=mct
Q=mct+mLf
IMG_20220814_133446__01.jpg

Im not really sure how to answer this question. Would you have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric heater is giving off energy to the water.
What can you say regarding the power of the heater? Look at the graph

... what does it take to melt ice?

Likes robphy and malawi_glenn
In the graph we can say the heater warms the water 10 degrees every 75s and to melt ice we need to reach a temperature of 0 degrees

physicsstudent111 said:
In the graph we can say the heater warms the water 10 degrees every 75s and to melt ice we need to reach a temperature of 0 degrees
Does the ice automatically melt at 0 degrees?

Or, does water freeze into ice at 0 degrees?

Likes malawi_glenn
Yes but you need to think in terms of energy. It is not enough to heat ice to 0deg to make it melt.
I gave you a hint earlier regarding the power of the heater

I think the melting point for water is 0 degrees. But I am not really sure what to say about the energy. Does there have to be more energy to fully melt the ice?

physicsstudent111 said:
I think the melting point for water is 0 degrees. But I am not really sure what to say about the energy. Does there have to be more energy to fully melt the ice?
Yes, look it up online. Ice is hard to melt. Think about its use to keep a drink cold.

Likes malawi_glenn
physicsstudent111 said:
You wrote the formulas here, also you recently did problem with turning 100 deg water into steam. Similar logic applies to when you go from solid to liquid

Likes PeroK

1. What is a thermal energy graph?

A thermal energy graph is a visual representation of the relationship between temperature and thermal energy of a substance. It shows how the thermal energy of a substance changes as its temperature increases or decreases.

2. How is thermal energy represented on a graph?

Thermal energy is typically represented on a graph as the vertical axis, with units of joules (J). The horizontal axis represents temperature, usually in degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K).

3. What does the slope of a thermal energy graph represent?

The slope of a thermal energy graph represents the specific heat capacity of the substance. This is a measure of how much energy is required to raise the temperature of the substance by one degree.

4. How does the shape of a thermal energy graph change with different substances?

The shape of a thermal energy graph can vary depending on the substance. Some substances, such as water, have a relatively flat slope indicating a high specific heat capacity, while others, such as metals, have a steeper slope indicating a lower specific heat capacity.

5. How can thermal energy graphs be used in practical applications?

Thermal energy graphs can be used to understand and predict the behavior of substances in different environments. They can also be used to calculate the amount of energy required for heating or cooling processes, and to design more efficient heating and cooling systems.