How does field rheostat resistance affect the speed of a DC shunt motor?

In summary, the motor will not run at 1700 rpm when started at a field current of 10Ω if the field rheostat is set to minimum. However, if the field rheostat is increased to 100Ω, the motor will run at 1700 rpm.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Suppose a motor is run at 1500 rpm and field rheostat is at minimum position (say 10Ω). Then the field rheostat resistance is increased to 100Ω and the speed obtained is 1700 rpm. Now the motor is shut down and started again. Will it now run at 1700 rpm?
My logic: No it won't, because:
the field current is less⇒starting torque is less⇒load torque is same⇒torque difference is less⇒acceleration is less⇒steady state speed is less.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.(I recently had an argument with my friend with whom I'm going to give a presentation on this method.He disagrees and my professor backed him.)
I don't understand how it will run at higher speed when started at lower field current. By that logic, at no field current, the motor should run at infinite speed. Am I missing something?

Engineering news on Phys.org
cnh1995 said:
I don't understand how it will run at higher speed when started at lower field current.

What is nature of the source for armature current?
The motor will simply draw more armature current to make whatever torque is necessary.

Long thread on that here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...c-motor-increase-when-flux-is-reduced.804006/
cnh1995 said:
By that logic, at no field current, the motor should run at infinite speed.
It'll try. Remember this picture?
pot.com%2F-_pGliNArb3Q%2FUPwvsdT_RHI%2FAAAAAAAAO1s%2FXhTXTlDj64U%2Fs640%2Fimage_1358694250175816.jpg

So it won't run at 1700 rpm and will draw more current to produce same torque right?

cnh1995 said:
So it won't run at 1700 rpm and will draw more current to produce same torque right?
Or will it just accelerate more gently? Looks to me like you've already established (by measurement) the rpm for that particular applied voltage, field current and torque.
cnh1995 said:
when the field rheostat resistance is increased to 100Ω and the speed obtained is 1700 rpm.

does your observation agree with the math ?

Go back to your basic motor equations

Counter EMF = KΦ X RPM
so RPM = Counter EMF / KΦ
RPM = (Vapplied - Iarmature X Rarmature ) / KΦ

Torque = 7.04 K X Φ X Iarmature (Torque in foot pounds)
Iarmature = Torque / 7.04KΦ

Substitute that Iarmature into RPM formula

RPM = (Vapplied - (Torque/7.04KΦ) X Rarmature) / KΦ

RPM = Vapplied / KΦ - (Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2first term is unloaded speed
second term is how much slower it runs because of load torque.

field rheostat sets KΦ,
load's speed-torque curve sets torque...

Play with the algebra ? What's RPM/Torque ?

jim hardy said:
Or will it just accelerate more gently? Looks to me like you've already established (by measurement) the rpm for that particular applied voltage, field current and torque.

does your observation agree with the math ?

Go back to your basic motor equations

Counter EMF = KΦ X RPM
so RPM = Counter EMF / KΦ
RPM = (Vapplied - Iarmature X Rarmature ) / KΦ

Torque = 7.04 K X Φ X Iarmature (Torque in foot pounds)
Iarmature = Torque / 7.04KΦ

Substitute that Iarmature into RPM formula

RPM = (Vapplied - (Torque/7.04KΦ) X Rarmature) / KΦ

RPM = Vapplied / KΦ - (Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2first term is unloaded speed
second term is how much slower it runs because of load torque.

field rheostat sets KΦ,
load's speed-torque curve sets torque...

Play with the algebra ? What's RPM/Torque ?
Whatever values I mentioned are not experimentally obtained. I just took some random values, just to reduce wording.

Will this train of thought work? For both the cases below, starting armature current will be same.
For case 1(rheostat at minimum):

Starting field current is higher ⇒Starting torque is higher⇒acceleration will be higher⇒steady state speed is higher⇒Steady state armature current is smaller.
For case 2(rheostat value increased):
Starting field current is smaller⇒Starting torque is smaller⇒acceleration will be smaller⇒steady state speed is smaller⇒steady state armature current is higher.
To produce the same load torque in both the cases,field flux*armature current product,i.e. Φ*Ia product should be same.
In case 1, Φ is more, Ia is less and in case 2, Ia is more,Φ is less, keeping the product constant.
So no way the motor should run at higher speed when started at smaller field excitation.

Is this logic okay? This can be proven by algebra.

cnh1995 said:
Will this train of thought work?
go back to those two equations, they won't let you down.
CounterEmf = KΦRPM
Torque = 7.04 KΦIarmature

cnh1995 said:
For case 1(rheostat at minimum):
Starting field current is higher ⇒Starting torque is higher⇒acceleration will be higher⇒steady state speed is higher reached more quickly ⇒Steady state armature current is smaller.

cnh1995 said:
For case 2(rheostat value increased):
Starting field current is smaller⇒Starting torque is smaller⇒acceleration will be smaller⇒steady state speed is smaller reached less quickly ⇒steady state armature current is higher.

Acceleration has nothing to do with final speed, only how quickly you reach it.

cnh1995 said:
Is this logic okay? This can be proven by algebra.
show that algebra ?

cnh1995 said:
So no way the motor should run at higher speed when started at smaller field excitation.

my algebra says
RPM = Vapplied / KΦ - (Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2

Halving KΦ doubles the first term and quadruples the second.
RPMcase1 = Vapplied / KΦ - (Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2
RPMcase2 = 2Vapplied / KΦ - 4(Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2

RPMcase2 - RPMcase1 = Vapplied / KΦ - 3(Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2

That's the speed increase from halving excitation.
So long as Torque X Rarmature/7.04KΦ is less than 1/3 Vapplied, it'll be positive.
Speed increase will be zero when Vapplied / KΦ - 3(Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2 = 0
Vapplied / KΦ = 3(Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2
Rarmature = Vapplied X 7.04KΦ/(3 X Torque)
Assume some per-unit values
Torque = 1
Vapplied = 1
KΦ= 1

Rarmature = 1 X 7.04 X 1 / (3 X 1) = 234 % ?
Real motors have small Rarmature on purpose, a few percentbetter check my algebra, I'm challenged.
Show me yours?

Likes cnh1995
Actually i should have treated KΦ as a single term
and written

[Q RPM = Vapplied / KΦ - (Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04(KΦ)2

jim hardy said:
go back to those two equations, they won't let you down.
CounterEmf = KΦRPM
Torque = 7.04 KΦIarmatureAcceleration has nothing to do with final speed, only how quickly you reach it.show that algebra ?
my algebra says
RPM = Vapplied / KΦ - (Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2

Halving KΦ doubles the first term and quadruples the second.
RPMcase1 = Vapplied / KΦ - (Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2
RPMcase2 = 2Vapplied / KΦ - 4(Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2

RPMcase2 - RPMcase1 = Vapplied / KΦ - 3(Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2

That's the speed increase from halving excitation.
So long as Torque X Rarmature/7.04KΦ is less than 1/3 Vapplied, it'll be positive.
Speed increase will be zero when Vapplied / KΦ - 3(Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2 = 0
Vapplied / KΦ = 3(Torque X Rarmature) / 7.04K2Φ2
Rarmature = Vapplied X 7.04KΦ/(3 X Torque)
Assume some per-unit values
Torque = 1
Vapplied = 1
KΦ= 1

Rarmature = 1 X 7.04 X 1 / (3 X 1) = 234 % ?
Real motors have small Rarmature on purpose, a few percentbetter check my algebra, I'm challenged.
Show me yours?
Well you are right as always! I made three major mistakes while thinking, which now make me want to kill myself...
1. I assumed back emf to be constant in both the cases, which actually isn't since the field is reduced. This was the reason I was saying speed won't increase..
2. Wrong understanding of starting torque.
3. I totally overlooked
P=2*pi*NT
If the field is reduced and load torque is same, that must draw more power from the source. So with T constant, N must increase with reduction in field.

Thats how my "train of thoughts" got derailed..

Thanks a lot for putting up with my nonsense..My apologies..!

Don't apologize at all - you made me straighten out my thinking !

Thanks for working through my ineloquent presentation.

It is heartwarming to see "The Light Come On"

I distinctly remember the morning Professor Grimm derived those two formulas for us boys , my immediate thought was "How Delightfully Intuitive ! " . Both fall out naturally from QVcrossB and right hand rule.
Complications from armature reaction you add in later.

Thanks for the feedback ! helps an old guy feel useful.

old jim

Likes dlgoff

1. How does flux control affect the speed of a DC shunt motor?

Flux control in a DC shunt motor refers to the manipulation of the magnetic field strength, which directly affects the motor's speed. By increasing the flux, the speed of the motor will decrease, and vice versa. This is because the speed of a motor is directly proportional to the back EMF (electromotive force) generated, which is dependent on the flux.

2. What methods can be used to control the flux in a DC shunt motor?

There are several methods that can be used to control the flux in a DC shunt motor. These include adjusting the field resistance, using rheostat control, and employing a field diverter. Additionally, varying the armature voltage can also indirectly affect the flux and thus the speed of the motor.

3. How does flux control impact the torque of a DC shunt motor?

The torque of a DC shunt motor is directly proportional to the flux, as well as the armature current. Therefore, by controlling the flux, the torque of the motor can also be manipulated. Increasing the flux will result in an increase in torque, while decreasing the flux will lead to a decrease in torque.

4. Can flux control be used to regulate the speed of a DC shunt motor?

Yes, flux control is one of the primary methods used to regulate the speed of a DC shunt motor. By adjusting the flux, the speed of the motor can be controlled without changing the input voltage or current. This makes it a useful technique for speed control in applications where precise and gradual speed changes are required.

5. What are the advantages of using flux control in a DC shunt motor?

One of the main advantages of flux control is that it allows for smooth and precise speed regulation in a DC shunt motor. Additionally, it does not require any additional components, making it a cost-effective method. Furthermore, flux control also helps in reducing power consumption and improves the overall efficiency of the motor.