How does having long exposure help with distance in photos?

• B
  • Thread starter Phys12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photos
In summary, the Hubble Ultra-Deep Field Image shows that by keeping the telescope open for a long time, we are able to see objects that are much fainter than usual.
Phys12
The Hubble Space Telescope was able to take the Hubble Ultra-Deep Field Image thanks to the telescope being exposed to a single section of the sky for well over two months. But what I don't get is: how does keeping the telescope open for a long time help with catching distant objects? It can't be the case that it allows the light from that far away to reach us during that time, for it will have to be a big coincidence that we pointed only when it was first reaching us.

I tried to search for long exposure photography, but it mostly revealed how using that we can take pictures of moving objects differently by altering the exposure time. I couldn't find much on how it helps with seeing distant objects. How does it really work?

Correction: there were two sessions of observation-- one for over two months and the other for a little over a month.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Phys12 said:
Correction: there were two sessions of observation-- one for over two months and the other for a little over a month.

and you will find even those periods were not continuous as others would have booked time on the scope during those months for doing other research
there may have been an hour here and an hour there etc etc over a period of several months to get a final exposure time for a number of hoursDave

davenn said:
and you will find even those periods were not continuous as others would have booked time on the scope during those months for doing other research
there may have been an hour here and an hour there etc etc over a period of several months to get a final exposure time for a number of hoursDave
And how exactly did all of this really help in imaging extremely distant galaxies?

Phys12 said:
And how exactly did all of this really help in imaging extremely distant galaxies?

because as you build up exposure time, you improve the signal to noise level and are able to image fainter objects or capture finer detailI will be doing the same thing tonite when I go out to image a comet and some other deep space objects
I will take a whole bunch of images and then stack them to produce a much better outcome than just a single exposureDave

davenn said:
because as you build up exposure time, you improve the signal to noise level and are able to image fainter objects or capture finer detail

Dave
And all of this happens by keeping the shutter open for a longer time and stacking different images together? If we did not have an atmosphere, say, then could I make my own Ultra-Deep Field Image by using a typical observatory with, say, 10 m. diameter telescope (by of course, increasing the exposure time/stacking all the images)? Why/Why not?

on the system I am currently using, I can do a maximum of one minute exposures before tracking issues become a problem

so I could do a bunch of 1 min exposures tonite, some more in a few days time and may some more in a few week's time when the next clear sky happens

doing so I could accumulate an hour or so of data
some of my fellow astro guys have no problems doing 10 min exposures and then stacking dozens of them to make the equiv of several hours of exposure time

no atmosphere just gets rid of all the distortions caused by air movement, light pollution etcDave

Likes Phys12
davenn said:
on the system I am currently using, I can do a maximum of one minute exposures before tracking issues become a problem

so I could do a bunch of 1 min exposures tonite, some more in a few days time and may some more in a few week's time when the next clear sky happens

doing so I could accumulate an hour or so of data
some of my fellow astro guys have no problems doing 10 min exposures and then stacking dozens of them to make the equiv of several hours of exposure time

no atmosphere just gets rid of all the distortions caused by air movement, light pollution etcDave
All right, thank you! :)

Likes davenn

1. How does long exposure affect the distance in photos?

Long exposure allows more light to enter the camera, which helps to capture distant objects more clearly. This is because the longer the exposure time, the more light is recorded on the camera's sensor, resulting in a brighter image.

2. Does long exposure improve the quality of distant objects in photos?

Yes, long exposure can improve the quality of distant objects in photos by reducing the amount of noise and graininess in the image. This is because longer exposure times allow for a higher signal-to-noise ratio, resulting in a cleaner and sharper image of distant objects.

3. How does long exposure help with capturing distant moving objects?

Long exposure can help to capture distant moving objects by creating a sense of motion and adding a dynamic element to the photo. This is because long exposure blurs the movement of the object, making it appear as a streak or trail, which can add interest to the photo.

4. What are the benefits of using long exposure for landscape photography?

Long exposure is commonly used in landscape photography to capture the movement of natural elements such as water, clouds, and stars. This can create a dreamy and ethereal effect in the photo, adding depth and interest to the landscape.

5. Are there any downsides to using long exposure for distance in photos?

One potential downside of using long exposure for distance in photos is that it can result in overexposure if the exposure time is too long. This can cause bright areas in the photo to become blown out and lose detail. Additionally, long exposure requires a stable camera and tripod to avoid blurry or shaky images.