How Does Internal Energy and Temperature Determine the Phase of R134A?

In summary, the phase of a substance cannot be determined from just the temperature and internal energy, but it can be determined from the temperature and pressure values. Enthalpy is not represented on a PV or PT graph, but it can be used to determine the state of a substance. Subcooled substances can be either entirely liquid or a mixture of vapor and liquid.
Ry122
if you're given just the temperature and internal energy of R134A how do you determine the phase of the substance? If I was given the pressure instead of internal energy then i would just look in my tables to see if the pressure is above or below the saturated pressure and i would then know whether it's subcooled or superheated. i don't know where the substance is with respect to the saturated liquid curve if all I have is the enthalpy. is enthalpy represented in any way on a pv or pt graph?

Also, when substances are subcooled they would always have to be a mixture of vapour and liquid wouldn't they since when you move below the saturated r134a or water curve you move slightly closer to the vapour side of the parabola and vice versa.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The phase of a substance cannot be determined from just the temperature and internal energy. Enthalpy is not represented on a PV or PT graph, but it can be determined from the temperature and pressure values. Generally, enthalpy is used to determine whether a given state is in a superheated, saturated, or subcooled state. Subcooled substances do not necessarily have to be a mixture of vapor and liquid. If the temperature of the substance is below the saturation temperature, the substance will be entirely liquid.

Related to How Does Internal Energy and Temperature Determine the Phase of R134A?

1. What is the internal energy of a liquid?

The internal energy of a liquid is the total energy contained within the liquid, including the kinetic energy of its particles and the potential energy of its intermolecular forces.

2. How does the internal energy of a liquid change with temperature?

The internal energy of a liquid increases with temperature, as the particles gain more kinetic energy and the intermolecular forces become weaker.

3. What factors affect the internal energy of a liquid?

The internal energy of a liquid is affected by its temperature, pressure, and the types of molecules present in the liquid.

4. Can the internal energy of a liquid be measured?

Yes, the internal energy of a liquid can be measured using various techniques such as calorimetry or thermodynamic equations.

5. How is the internal energy of a liquid related to its phase changes?

The internal energy of a liquid remains constant during a phase change, as the energy is used to break or form intermolecular bonds rather than increasing the kinetic energy of the particles.