How does KIP Fundamentals of Electricity compare to Purcell?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between KIP: Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism and Purcell as well as their difficulty level. The speaker shares their experience in an honors EM class where Purcell was the assigned text and students struggled with it. As a result, the instructor changed the text to an older edition of Resnick/Walker Physics. The speaker also mentions receiving several books, including KIP, from their professor and wonders if it is worth reviewing KIP if they already have Purcell. Jason suggests using KIP as a supplement and focusing on other subjects or higher level electromagnetism.
MidgetDwarf
How does KIP: Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism compare against Purcell? Are they at the same level?
Or would focusing on Purcell be a better option?

I took an honors EM class and are assigned text was Purcell. It was the first time our school used Purcell for an honors sequence. Previously, the honors course required only an extra project and presentation for honors credit. My instructor decided to change the rules and made Purcell the assigned text.

The class was considered largely a failure. Students were struggling with Purcell (this is a community college). I believe he got in trouble with the department as a result. Our teacher purchased older editions of Resnick/Walker Physics and gave them to students. Resnick replaced Purcell as our main text.

I went to get a letter of recommendation from my professor the other day, and he gave me a stack of books. I got Taylor Mechanics, Marion Thornton, Kip and two book by Griffiths. Some math methods books.

Is it worth going over KIP if I have Purcell? I found Purcell challenging, but not impossible. Far easier then say, Spivak Calculus. Really struggling with Spivak -_-.

Likes Amrator
I have never looked at Kip, but it appears to be the same level as Purcell. If you already understand electromagnetic theory at that level I would think that moving on to other subjects or simply looking at higher level electromagnetism would be a better use of your time. It sounds like you were given many such books - I would look at those instead of Kip.

jason

Likes MidgetDwarf
Thanks Jason for responding to my inquiry. Need to review Purcell as I did not fully complete it, due to professor changing the course material halfway through the semester.
Probably use KIP as a supplement and nothing more.

1. How does KIP Fundamentals of Electricity compare to Purcell?

KIP Fundamentals of Electricity and Purcell are both introductory textbooks on electricity and magnetism. However, they approach the subject in different ways. KIP focuses on conceptual understanding and problem-solving techniques, while Purcell emphasizes mathematical rigor and theoretical concepts.

2. Which textbook is better for beginners?

This depends on the individual's learning style and goals. KIP may be more suitable for those who prefer a more intuitive approach, while Purcell may be better for those who want to develop a strong foundation in mathematical and theoretical concepts.

3. Are the topics covered in both textbooks the same?

Yes, both KIP Fundamentals of Electricity and Purcell cover similar topics such as electric charge, electric fields, circuits, and electromagnetic waves. However, the order and depth of coverage may differ.

4. Which textbook has more practice problems and exercises?

KIP Fundamentals of Electricity has more practice problems and exercises compared to Purcell. KIP also includes step-by-step solutions to selected problems, making it a better choice for those who want more practice and guidance in problem-solving.

5. Which textbook is more suitable for self-study?

Both KIP Fundamentals of Electricity and Purcell can be used for self-study, but KIP may be more suitable for those who are new to the subject and want a more accessible and intuitive approach. Purcell may be better for those who have a strong background in mathematics and want a more rigorous treatment of the subject.