How does mass affect time near the Great Pyramid of Giza?

• Thread starter PhysicsAdict
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Time
In summary, two friends visit the Great Pyramid of Giza and one stands 1 meter away while the other stands 1000 meters away. Due to the pyramid's high mass, time is slightly slowed down. However, this effect is so small that it is immeasurable and would require standing there for longer than the age of the universe to see a significant difference in age between the two friends.
PhysicsAdict
Hi There,

I was doing so research and thought some of you guys may be able to help. Say I have a friend who is 18 days younger than I am. We both go to Egypt to visit the great pyramid of Giza. since the pyramid weighs 3,600,000 tons it has a high enough mass to slightly slow time around it. Say I stand one metre from the pyramid and my younger friend stands 1000 metres away, how much would time be slowed down for me relative to them and out of interest how long in theory would we have to stand there before my younger friend became older than me?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to guess... such a small amount that it is immeasurable. Also remember that both of you are standing on the earth, an MUCH greater source of gravity, which also includes the pyramid.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation

The gravitational time dilation factor is approximately given by Delta(phi)/c^2, where phi is the Newtonian gravitational potential. For the numbers you gave, this factor is on the order of 10^-12, so you would need to stand there for longer than the age of the universe to catch up with your younger friend.

1. What is time distortion due to mass?

Time distortion due to mass is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that the presence of mass can warp the fabric of space-time, causing time to pass differently in different locations.

2. How does mass cause time distortion?

Mass causes time distortion by creating a gravitational field, which curves the fabric of space-time. This curvature affects the flow of time, causing it to pass slower in areas with stronger gravitational fields.

3. Does the amount of mass affect time distortion?

Yes, the amount of mass does affect time distortion. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational field will be, and the greater the effect on the flow of time in its vicinity.

4. Is time distortion due to mass only observed in extreme conditions?

No, time distortion due to mass is not limited to extreme conditions. While its effects may be more noticeable in extreme situations, such as near black holes, it is present in all objects with mass, including planets, stars, and even everyday objects.

5. Can time travel be achieved through time distortion?

While time distortion can cause time to pass at different rates, it does not allow for time travel in the traditional sense. Time travel, as depicted in science fiction, involves moving through time at will, which is not possible with time distortion. However, time dilation, a form of time distortion, has been observed and measured in experiments involving high-speed travel and could theoretically allow for future time travel possibilities.