How does noise impact the potential measured in a circuit?

In summary, noise affects the potential measured across a certain point in a circuit. There are two sources of noise- Schottky and thermal. The third component (noise) can have lots of sources.
Sahara
Hello,

I am trying to understand how noise affects the potential measured across a certain point of a circuit.
If we have two alternating voltage sources in a circuit, I understand that the "sum" of the potentials provided can affect the potential at the point of interest. However, I am having trouble understanding where this third form of potential comes from and how exactly it can change the resultant voltage waveform at the point of interest!

Let me know if this is unclear and thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a lot of different kinds of noises. There is thermal noise due to random fluctuation of electrons, noise from outside interference, or noise generated by different circuits.

Which noise are you referring to in particular, or is this just a general question?

This is just a general question. I'm starting to learn about sensors, but I don't understand the physics behind how potential can be created from noise.
Thank you for your time

Your question seems a little vague. This third component (noise) can have lots of sources. Can you give a specific scenario?

Well I just learned that noise has an effect on the received signal. I'm not sure what this outside noise component comes from, I actually didn't even know there different categories of sources :S, but my question comes from a demonstration where a signal that is sent from a sender to a receiver is affected by this factor that was called noise.
And I was wondering how this "noise" can create a potential..
Sorry if it's unclear! i think I will read a bit more about it first to see if I can clarify more

Sahara said:
Hello,

I am trying to understand how noise affects the potential measured across a certain point of a circuit.
If we have two alternating voltage sources in a circuit, I understand that the "sum" of the potentials provided can affect the potential at the point of interest. However, I am having trouble understanding where this third form of potential comes from and how exactly it can change the resultant voltage waveform at the point of interest!

Let me know if this is unclear and thank you!

welcome to the PF. I googled sensor noise tutorial, and got lots of good hits:

http://www.google.com/search?source...=1T4TSHB_enUS315US316&q=sensor+noise+tutorial

Two possible noise sources are:
1) The quantization of charge in low currents (1 nanoamp = 6.25 electrons per nanosecond) creates Schottky noise in small signals.

2) Thermal fluctuations in resistors create a noise voltage. See
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-noise.htm

Also there is the plain old interference from other wireless transmitters and electrical equipment, and the CMB (cosmic microwave background).

Bob S

Hello Sahara-
See my answer in your other identical thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=367692
Bob S

Two threads merged.

Thank you Bob and others for the reply and links!

Related to How does noise impact the potential measured in a circuit?

What is the effect of noise on a circuit?

Noise on a circuit refers to any unwanted electrical signals that can disrupt the normal functioning of the circuit. It can cause errors, malfunctions, and inaccuracies in the circuit's output.

What are the different types of noise that can affect a circuit?

The four main types of noise that can affect a circuit are thermal noise, shot noise, flicker noise, and burst noise. Thermal noise is caused by random motion of electrons in a conductor, while shot noise is caused by the discrete nature of electric current. Flicker noise is low-frequency noise caused by defects in the circuit, and burst noise is short-duration spikes caused by external sources.

How does noise affect the performance of a circuit?

Noise can significantly degrade the performance of a circuit by introducing errors, reducing the signal-to-noise ratio, and decreasing the overall accuracy of the circuit. It can also limit the sensitivity and dynamic range of the circuit, affecting its ability to detect and amplify signals.

What are some methods for reducing noise in a circuit?

There are several methods for reducing noise in a circuit, including using shielding to block external noise sources, filtering to remove unwanted frequencies, and designing the circuit to minimize noise. Grounding and proper layout of components can also help reduce noise in a circuit.

How can noise be measured and analyzed in a circuit?

Noise in a circuit can be measured using specialized equipment such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and noise meters. It can also be analyzed by looking at the frequency spectrum and power spectrum of the noise signal. In addition, computer simulations and mathematical models can be used to analyze and predict the effects of noise on a circuit.