How Does Non-Relativistic Holography Apply to Condensed Matter Systems?

• A
  • Thread starter haushofer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Holography
In summary: I could of course move very slowly in a strong gravitational field, but then I would not be in free fall (not moving on a geodesic). So in that sense i see that "strongly coupled" does not necessarily imply "non-relativistic". Something similar can be formulated in a field-theoretical (instead of particle) context. So I guess this is what a strongly coupled but non-relativistic field theory should look like.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Dear all,

I'm a bit confused about non-relativistic applications of holography, like e.g. in

https://arxiv.org/pdf/0812.0530v1.pdf

and

https://arxiv.org/abs/1306.0638

In these papers people try to connect holographically non-relativistic condensed matter systems, like the Quantum Hall Effect, to backgrounds in the bulk exhibiting non-relativistic isometries or non-relativistic theories of gravity, like Newton-Cartan. But in the AdS/CFT correspondence we have a duality between strongly coupled and weakly coupled theories. Shouldn't one expect to describe non-relativistic condensed matter systems by ultra-relativistic theories of gravity and vice versa? It probably has to do something with the fact that the correspondence involves the 't Hooft coupling. Can anyone comment on my confusion? Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, the explicit embedding in string theory in these examples is not known, so one does not have an explicit relation between the two couplings. But still my confusion stands.

Take e.g. a particle in free fall in a Newtonian gravitational field. Non-relativistic means than v/c << 1, which implies a weak gravitational coupling, right?

haushofer said:
Shouldn't one expect to describe non-relativistic condensed matter systems by ultra-relativistic theories of gravity and vice versa?
Are you associating strongly-coupled with ultra-relativistic and weakly-coupled with non-relativistic? If yes, that's not correct!

It seems to me that a non-relativistic Gauge/Gravity correspondence can be achieved by taking the ## \frac v c \to 0 ## limit of both theories, among other limits. But I don't know how to actually do it!

Shayan.J said:
Are you associating strongly-coupled with ultra-relativistic and weakly-coupled with non-relativistic? If yes, that's not correct!
I could of course move very slowly in a strong gravitational field, but then I would not be in free fall (not moving on a geodesic). So in that sense i see that "strongly coupled" does not necessarily imply "non-relativistic". Something similar can be formulated in a field-theoretical (instead of particle) context. So I guess this is what a strongly coupled but non-relativistic field theory should look like.

Related to How Does Non-Relativistic Holography Apply to Condensed Matter Systems?

1. What is non-relativistic holography?

Non-relativistic holography, also known as non-relativistic AdS/CFT correspondence, is a theory that describes the relationship between a non-relativistic quantum field theory in a lower dimensional space and a higher dimensional gravitational theory. It is based on the holographic principle, which states that all the information in a volume of space can be encoded on its boundary. This theory has been applied in the study of condensed matter systems and has shown promising results in understanding their behavior.

2. How does non-relativistic holography differ from relativistic holography?

Relativistic holography, also known as AdS/CFT correspondence, describes the relationship between a relativistic quantum field theory in a lower dimensional space and a higher dimensional gravitational theory. The main difference between the two is that non-relativistic holography takes into account the effects of non-relativistic velocities, while relativistic holography does not. This makes non-relativistic holography more suitable for studying condensed matter systems, which often involve non-relativistic velocities.

3. What are some potential applications of non-relativistic holography?

Non-relativistic holography has shown promising applications in the study of condensed matter systems, such as high temperature superconductors and quantum spin liquids. It has also been used to study non-Fermi liquids and other exotic states of matter. Additionally, non-relativistic holography has been applied in the study of transport properties and quantum critical phenomena.

4. What are some challenges in the development of non-relativistic holography?

One of the main challenges in the development of non-relativistic holography is the lack of a complete understanding of how to incorporate non-relativistic effects into the holographic framework. Another challenge is the complexity of the mathematical calculations involved in this theory, which makes it difficult to extract physical predictions. Additionally, there is still much to be explored and understood about the relationship between non-relativistic holography and condensed matter systems.

5. How does non-relativistic holography contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Non-relativistic holography provides a unique and powerful tool for understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as condensed matter systems, in a more intuitive and geometric way. It allows us to study the effects of gravity and quantum mechanics on these systems and potentially uncover new phenomena. By bridging the gap between seemingly unrelated fields, non-relativistic holography contributes to our overall understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws.