How does one show that the function is differentiable?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that (x^2+y^2)^\alpha is differentiable at (0,0) when \alpha>\frac{1}{2}. The usual method is to show that the partial derivatives are continuous at (0,0), but there is confusion in showing the continuity of 2x\alpha(x^2+y^2)^{\alpha-1}. Suggestions are given to break into cases and use the limit definition of the partial derivative.
Feynman's fan
I'd like to show that if [itex]\alpha>\frac{1}{2}[/itex] then [itex](x^2+y^2)^\alpha[/itex] is differentiable at [itex](0,0)[/itex].

The usual way is to show that the partial derivatives are continuous at [itex](0,0)[/itex].

Yet I am a little confused how to show that [itex]2x\alpha(x^2+y^2)^{\alpha-1}[/itex] is continuous at [itex](0,0)[/itex]. I have tried working it out by definition, yet it seems to be a mess.

Any hints are very appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Feynman's fan said:
I'd like to show that if [itex]\alpha>\frac{1}{2}[/itex] then [itex](x^2+y^2)^\alpha[/itex] is differentiable at [itex](0,0)[/itex].

The usual way is to show that the partial derivatives are continuous at [itex](0,0)[/itex].

Yet I am a little confused how to show that [itex]2x\alpha(x^2+y^2)^{\alpha-1}[/itex] is continuous at [itex](0,0)[/itex]. I have tried working it out by definition, yet it seems to be a mess.

Any hints are very appreciated!

I might be wrong, so you should wait until others give advice, but I believe something that can get you started would be to first break this into two cases for the values of ##\alpha##. After that, I would use a squeeze theorem argument for one of the cases.

Simon Bridge,
thank you, it's all clear now!

No worries - happy New Year.

Related to How does one show that the function is differentiable?

1. What is the definition of differentiability?

Differentiability is a measure of how smooth a function is at a particular point. A function is considered differentiable at a point if it has a defined derivative at that point. The derivative represents the rate of change of the function at that specific point.

2. How can you show that a function is differentiable using the limit definition?

To show that a function is differentiable, you can use the limit definition of a derivative. This involves taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0 of the function (f(x+h) - f(x)) divided by the change in x (h). If the limit exists, then the function is differentiable at that point.

3. What is the relationship between continuity and differentiability?

A function must be continuous in order to be differentiable. This means that it must have no breaks or jumps in its graph. However, just because a function is continuous does not necessarily mean it is differentiable. There are some cases where a function can be continuous but not differentiable at a specific point.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

No, a function must be continuous at a point in order to be differentiable at that point. If a function is not continuous, then it cannot have a defined derivative at that point.

5. Are there any shortcuts or rules to determine if a function is differentiable?

Yes, there are some shortcut rules that can be used to determine if a function is differentiable. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. However, these rules are only applicable to certain types of functions and may not work for all cases.