Integration of an exponential function

In summary, integrating the function ##e^{-2\alpha(y)}## is not as simple as just taking the negative of the same function. The difficulty lies in the fact that ##\alpha(y)## is a function of y, and its specific form must be known in order to properly integrate the function. If ##\alpha(y)## is a linear function of y, the integration is straightforward, but for more complicated functions, numerical methods may be required. There may be special cases where an analytical solution exists, but in general, the integral cannot be solved without knowing the form of ##\alpha(y)##.
Safinaz
Homework Statement
Hello ,

How to integrate
Relevant Equations
## \int ~ dy ~ e^{-2 \alpha(y)} ##
My trial :

I think ## \int ~ dy ~ e^{-2 \alpha(y)} ## dose not simply equal: ## - \frac{1}{2}e^{-2 \alpha(y)} ## cause ##\alpha## is a function in ##y ##.

So any help about the right answer is appreciated!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##\alpha(y)## ?

anuttarasammyak said:
What is ##\alpha(y)## ?
Should I assume it to make the integration, right?
Well, in this case let's assume it increases with y exponentially or it's a slowly varying function

Safinaz said:
Should I assume it to make the integration, right?
Well, in this case let's assume it increases with y exponentially or it's a slowly varying function
You need to specify the function ##\alpha(y)## - i.e. give the actual formula for ##\alpha## in terms of y. Or (if integrating numerically) you need a table giving values of ##\alpha## for values of y over the range of interest.

If ##\alpha(y)## can be represented as a linear function of y (##\alpha(y) = ay + b## with a and b as constants) then the integration is clearly simple.

For more complicated functions, I believe there are no general analytical methods, though special cases may have solutions . E.g. with ##\alpha(y) = y^2## the integral can be expressed in terms of the error function – see https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=e^(-2y^2)

Also, see discussion here: https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/19390/integrating-efx

Likes Omega0, docnet, Safinaz and 2 others
@Steve4Physics. Hay! just saying thank you very much! The answer is so helpful 😊

Likes Delta2 and Steve4Physics

1. What is the formula for integrating an exponential function?

The formula for integrating an exponential function is ∫e^x dx = e^x + C, where C is a constant of integration.

2. What is the process for integrating an exponential function?

The process for integrating an exponential function involves using the formula ∫e^x dx = e^x + C and applying the power rule for integration, which states that ∫x^n dx = (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C. This can be used to integrate any exponential function of the form e^(kx), where k is a constant.

3. Can an exponential function be integrated using substitution?

Yes, an exponential function can be integrated using substitution. This involves substituting u = e^x and du = e^x dx, which simplifies the integration process.

4. Are there any special cases when integrating an exponential function?

Yes, there are two special cases when integrating an exponential function. The first is when integrating e^x^2, which requires the use of the error function. The second is when integrating e^(-x^2), which requires the use of the Gaussian integral.

5. How is the definite integral of an exponential function calculated?

The definite integral of an exponential function is calculated by evaluating the indefinite integral at the upper and lower limits of integration and taking the difference between the two values. This gives the area under the curve of the exponential function between the specified limits.