How does Quantum Physics solve the ultraviolet catastrophe?

In summary: In classical radiation, the energy is spread out over an infinite range of frequencies. However, with quantum radiation, the energy is transferred in discrete packets as the radiation frequency increases. This solves the problem of the ultraviolet catastrophe, where the energy reaches a limit and lasers and other types of radiation can't emit beyond that point.
quebecois22
Hi,
I understand how classical theory was wrong about blackbody radiation with the intensity reaching infinity as the frequency increased. However, I don't understand how the problem is solved with quantum physics. How does the fact that electromagnetic radiation be transferred as discrete packets of energy solve the ultraviolet catastrophe?

If someone could clear me up on the subject, it'd be really nice.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
quebecois22 said:
Hi,
I understand how classical theory was wrong about blackbody radiation with the intensity reaching infinity as the frequency increased. However, I don't understand how the problem is solved with quantum physics. How does the fact that electromagnetic radiation be transferred as discrete packets of energy solve the ultraviolet catastrophe?

Thank you
The best is to read the original paper form Max Planck.
Just now, I can not more find it on the Web. Here is the best approximation :
http://web.archive.org/web/20080418...ocs/Chem-History/Planck-1901/Planck-1901.html

Here it is :
http://theochem.kuchem.kyoto-u.ac.jp/Ando/planck1901.pdf

You have written a common mistake : Never Planck quantized energy, but action.
Planck was not a bum...
His reasoning from entropy, is from a master, the master of his time.

Last edited by a moderator:
quebecois22 said:
Hi,

Thank you

Here is a more 'laymans' explanation. Hope it is not inaccurate.:smile:

http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys314/lectures/planck/planck.html

Quantum Mechanics didn't solve the problem, Planck did at a time when Q.M did not exist yet.

Last edited:

1. What is the ultraviolet catastrophe in quantum physics?

The ultraviolet catastrophe, also known as the Rayleigh-Jeans catastrophe, refers to a paradox in classical physics where the predicted energy spectrum of blackbody radiation diverges as the frequency approaches infinity. This was a major problem in the early 20th century and led to the development of quantum mechanics.

2. How does quantum physics solve the ultraviolet catastrophe?

Quantum mechanics provides a solution to the ultraviolet catastrophe by introducing the concept of discrete energy levels. This means that instead of a continuous spectrum of energy, there are only certain allowed energy values. This resolves the divergence at high frequencies and accurately predicts the observed blackbody radiation curve.

3. What is Planck's constant and how does it relate to the ultraviolet catastrophe?

Planck's constant, denoted by h, is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. In the context of the ultraviolet catastrophe, Planck's constant is crucial in explaining the discrete energy levels and avoiding the divergence at high frequencies.

4. How does the wave-particle duality of light play a role in solving the ultraviolet catastrophe?

The wave-particle duality of light, described by quantum mechanics, allows for the understanding of light as both a wave and a particle. This duality is necessary to explain the quantization of energy levels in blackbody radiation and resolve the ultraviolet catastrophe.

5. Are there any other applications of quantum mechanics besides solving the ultraviolet catastrophe?

Yes, quantum mechanics has many other applications in various fields such as electronics, computing, and materials science. It is also the foundation for our understanding of subatomic particles and the behavior of matter at the quantum level.