Proving that the incident intensity is not the same as the sum of others

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the relation between coefficients representing the amplitude and fractional part of the incident, reflected, and transmitted electric fields and intensities. The relations between these coefficients are deduced, but there is confusion about how to prove them and show that the intensities are not equal. The source provided suggests that the intensities do in fact add up to the incident intensity.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I was supposed to find the relation among the coefficients $T$ and $R$ which represent the amplitude of the reflected electric field and the transmitted electric field respectively, that is, $$E_{R} = E_{i} R, E_{T} = E_{i} T$$ as well as the coefficients $t$ and $r$, that represent the fractional part of the intensity incident, that is, $$I_{R} = I_{i} r, I_{T} = I_{i} t$$

In fact, assuming that the first medium is the air/vacuum, I was able to deduce correctly the relations $$r = R^2, t = nT^2$$ where $n$ is the index of refraction of the second medium.

After doing so, I should be able to show that the sum of the intensities of the reflected and the transmitted wave is not equal to the intensity of the incident wave. The main problem is that I used exactly this to drive my relations! That is:

$$S_i = S_t + S_r \implies \frac{B_i E_i}{\mu_1} = \frac{B_t E_t}{\mu_2} + \frac{B_r E_r}{\mu_1}$$
$$B = E/v \implies \frac{1}{\mu_1} = \frac{R^2}{\mu_1} + \frac{T^2 c}{c/n \cdot \mu_2}$$
$$ \mu_{1} \approx \mu_{2} \implies 1 = R^2 + n T^2$$

where I now call $r = R^2, t = n T^2$

So I think you can see why I am confused. How am I supposed to prove the relations between $r$, $t$, $R$, $T$; and how do I prove that the intensities are in fact not equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

I was supposed to find the relation among the coefficients $T$ and $R$ which represent the amplitude of the reflected electric field and the transmitted electric field respectively, that is, $$E_{R} = E_{i} R, E_{T} = E_{i} T$$ as well as the coefficients $t$ and $r$, that represent the fractional part of the intensity incident, that is, $$I_{R} = I_{i} r, I_{T} = I_{i} t$$

In fact, assuming that the first medium is the air/vacuum, I was able to deduce correctly the relations $$r = R^2, t = nT^2$$ where $n$ is the index of refraction of the second medium.

After doing so, I should be able to show that the sum of the intensities of the reflected and the transmitted wave is not equal to the intensity of the incident wave. The main problem is that I used exactly this to drive my relations! That is:

$$S_i = S_t + S_r \implies \frac{B_i E_i}{\mu_1} = \frac{B_t E_t}{\mu_2} + \frac{B_r E_r}{\mu_1}$$
$$B = E/v \implies \frac{1}{\mu_1} = \frac{R^2}{\mu_1} + \frac{T^2 c}{c/n \cdot \mu_2}$$
$$ \mu_{1} \approx \mu_{2} \implies 1 = R^2 + n T^2$$

where I now call $r = R^2, t = n T^2$

So I think you can see why I am confused. How am I supposed to prove the relations between $r$, $t$, $R$, $T$; and how do I prove that the intensities are in fact not equal?
According to (1232) onwards at https://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node104.html the reflected and transmitted intensities do add up to the incident.
The notation is a little different, using R, T where you have r, t.

Are you sure you are reading the question correctly?

1. What is the incident intensity?

The incident intensity refers to the amount of energy or radiation that is being measured at a particular point in space. It is typically measured in units of watts per square meter.

2. Why is it important to prove that the incident intensity is not the same as the sum of others?

It is important to prove this because it can help us understand the true nature of the incident energy or radiation. If the incident intensity is not equal to the sum of others, it means that there are other factors at play that are affecting the intensity, and we need to account for those in our measurements and calculations.

3. How can we prove that the incident intensity is not the same as the sum of others?

This can be done through careful experimentation and measurement. By controlling all other variables and measuring the incident intensity at different points, we can determine if the intensity is affected by other factors and if it is not equal to the sum of others.

4. What are some possible factors that can affect the incident intensity?

There are many factors that can affect the incident intensity, including the distance from the source, the angle of incidence, the presence of other objects or materials in the path of the radiation, and the properties of the medium through which the radiation is passing.

5. How can understanding the incident intensity help us in scientific research?

Understanding the incident intensity can help us make more accurate measurements and calculations in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and environmental science. It can also provide insights into the behavior of energy and radiation, which can be applied in various practical applications such as energy production and medical imaging.