How does rotation have vectors?

In summary, the right hand rule states that if the direction of rotation is known, then the vector associated with that rotation can be determined.
NYGooner
In my textbook they used the right hand rule to show that rotation has vectors instead of just being positive or negative relative to its direction of rotation of a vinyl record. In the image the record was going clock wise so by the right hand rule it was going downward which makes sense, but are they also saying that if it was counter-clock wise then by the right hand rule it would have a vector in the upward direction? Does that mean it would move upward? I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, I just can't understand how we can apply vectors to rotation.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple of inaccurately used words in your statement.
1. "rotation has vectors". Rotation is a type of motion. It does not "have" vectors.
2. "In the image the record was going clock wise so by the right hand rule it was going downward which makes sense". You said "it" was going downward. Ask yourself the question: What was going downward? Certainly not the vinyl record. It is NOT going downward. It is only going round and round.
3. There is a si,i;ar statement about counter-clockwise rotation.
The vector you are talking about does not give the direction of motion. Think of a tiny spot on your vinyl record. It is going round at the same rate as the record. At any instant, the spot is moving in a specific direction. That is the direction of the instantaneous velocity, and it is tangential to the circle in which the spot is moving.
The vector that the right hand rule shows is the ANGULAR VELOCITY, or ANGULAR MOMENTUM. Nothing is actually moving in the direction of these vectors. Rather, something is rotating around these vectors. The direction of rotation and the direction of the vector are related by the right hand rule.

Likes NYGooner
Sorry for the complicated wording, I just wasn't sure how to word this question. Thanks for clearing it up though, it makes sense now, thanks!

Related to How does rotation have vectors?

1. How does rotation have vectors?

Rotation can be described as the movement of an object around an axis. Vectors, on the other hand, are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In the context of rotation, vectors represent the direction and magnitude of the rotational movement around the axis.

2. What are the components of a rotational vector?

A rotational vector has two main components: direction and magnitude. The direction is represented by the axis of rotation, while the magnitude is determined by the angle of rotation.

3. How are rotational vectors represented mathematically?

Rotational vectors are often represented using the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you curl your fingers in the direction of rotational movement, your thumb will point in the direction of the rotational vector.

4. What is the difference between rotational and translational vectors?

Rotational vectors represent the rotational movement of an object around an axis, while translational vectors represent the linear movement of an object from one point to another. Rotational vectors have direction and magnitude, while translational vectors only have magnitude.

5. How are rotational vectors used in physics?

Rotational vectors are used in physics to describe the rotational motion of objects. They are also used in calculations of angular velocity and acceleration, as well as in the study of rotational energy and momentum.