How Does Temperature Affect Dissolved Gas in Beer?

In summary, when a beer is colder than the beer from the fridge, the rate at which dissolved gas comes out of solution is faster. This is likely due to the pressure drop, which is the same in both cases.
mtc1973
So if I take a beer from the fridge and open it at RT, the dissolved gas comes out of solution because of the pressure drop.
A colleague asked me - why is it then that if he takes a beer from the freezer, that is colder than the beer from the fridge (not frozen though) and opens it at RT - the rate at which dissolved gas comes out of solution is often faster - and results in a continuous fountain of beer.
How is it that the rate of dissolved gas exiting the solution is affected - presumably the pressure drop should be the same in both cases. So how is it that the temperature gradient has this effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might not be the gas but the liquid. Water expands in volume when cooled, reaching a maximum at 4C and raising the gas pressure due to the greater volume being contained in the same sized container. (It explains why you risk rupture/explosion when freezing liquids in a sealed can or bottle...)

No rupture. The liquid had not gone solid. I have noticed a bunch of times this happening. OF course there may be explanationes due to nucleation sites being concentrated in one place? or some weird effect other than the pressure drop or the temperature difference?
I have seen it myself a few times but never paused to wonder why.

mtc1973 said:
So if I take a beer from the fridge and open it at RT, the dissolved gas comes out of solution because of the pressure drop.
A colleague asked me - why is it then that if he takes a beer from the freezer, that is colder than the beer from the fridge (not frozen though) and opens it at RT - the rate at which dissolved gas comes out of solution is often faster - and results in a continuous fountain of beer.
How is it that the rate of dissolved gas exiting the solution is affected - presumably the pressure drop should be the same in both cases. So how is it that the temperature gradient has this effect?

I've experienced the same thing(continuous fountain) and another... the entire beer turned into frozen slush after opening from being in my freezer.
When I moved the can gently around it seemed to be liquid, but when i opened it it fountained AND turned to icy slush.

mtc1973 said:
No rupture. The liquid had not gone solid.
It doesn't have to freeze. Cold water is less dense than water at room temperature. The act of expanding as it gets cold will pressurize the gas.

what gas do you mean - the dissolved gas in solution or the gas at the gap at the top of the bottle.

Both.

Hi!I'm quite new,but...I've just watched on tv:
If a liquid is near its freezing point(meaning: supercooled) and I take out of the bridge and I just hit it, it's going to freeze immediatelly.Does anyone know the reason?
Thanks!
I should be glad to see a text/reference to browse.

1. How does temperature affect the carbonation in beer?

The amount of carbonation in beer is directly affected by temperature. As temperature increases, carbon dioxide (CO2) molecules become more active and move out of the solution, resulting in less carbonation. Conversely, as temperature decreases, CO2 molecules become less active and remain in solution, resulting in more carbonation.

2. At what temperature should beer be stored to maintain optimal carbonation levels?

The optimal temperature for storing beer depends on the style of beer. Generally, lagers should be stored at colder temperatures (around 35-40°F) to maintain their crisp carbonation, while ales can be stored at slightly warmer temperatures (around 45-50°F). Refer to the specific beer's packaging or the brewer's recommendations for the best storage temperature.

3. Does temperature affect the taste of beer?

Yes, temperature can greatly affect the taste of beer. Certain flavors and aromas are more prominent at different temperatures, so it is important to serve beer at the recommended temperature for that specific style. For example, a cold lager may taste refreshing and crisp, while the same beer served at room temperature may taste dull and bland.

4. How does temperature affect the rate of gas escaping from beer?

As mentioned before, temperature affects the solubility of gases in beer. Higher temperatures result in higher levels of gas escaping from the beer, while lower temperatures result in lower levels of gas escaping. This is why it is important to properly store and serve beer at the recommended temperature to maintain the desired carbonation level.

5. Can temperature changes during transportation affect the carbonation of beer?

Yes, temperature changes during transportation can affect the carbonation of beer. If the beer is exposed to higher temperatures, more CO2 molecules will escape from the solution, resulting in less carbonation. This is one reason why it is important for beer to be properly stored and transported at the recommended temperature.