Dissolved gas concentration in undersaturated liquid column

In summary: Assuming the water column is continuous (i.e not a water table), at what point will the pressure at the bottom be the same as the pressure at the top?Assuming the water column is continuous (i.e not a water table), at what point will the pressure at the bottom be the same as the pressure at the top?In summary, the methane concentration (or partial pressure) will be highest at the top of the column, and will decrease as you move down the column.
MarkBurg
Hi,

In an enclosed system - of say Methane & water - in which the water column is sufficiently large to have significant pressure and some modest temperature difference due to gravity and geothermal effects, how would one calculate / predict the changing methane concentration (or partial pressure) down the column from a reference point (known concentration, pressure and temperature), assuming no/limited convection?

I've seen a few papers and procedures for calculating maximum (saturated) solubilities as a function of pressure, temperature and salinity, but haven't figured out how to estimate how the concentration profile might change down a static, contigous, undersaturated water column.

Can anyone provide some pointers?

Would concentrations remain constant due to diffusion?
Would the system tend to maintain uniform fugacity of the dissolved gas?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the water column continuous up to the water table? If so, shouldn't the methane concentration at the water table be essentially zero?

Chestermiller said:
Is the water column continuous up to the water table? If so, shouldn't the methane concentration at the water table be essentially zero?

Thanks for your thoughts

A continuous column to the water table is one reference point possibility - and certainly one that I'd like to look at, but that situtaion is one where the dissolved methane concentration has actually reached the saturated capacity of water, and as you move further up the column methane degasses according to the holding capacity of the water - I don't have questions on how to describe this phenomenom.

What I'm trying to understand is how the dissolved methane concentration down a contiguous equilibrated water column might change due to the static pressure and temperature gradient alone - assuming all undersaturated

Bystander said:

Thankyou Bystander - I had not come across the Soret Effect before - the impact of temperature gradient - so that may help. Are you aware of any impact of static pressure gradient on this problem?

I can't help but think that the dissolved gas concentration is the result of some (Gibbs free?) energy balance, and that the water pressure (and indeed temperature) at any given depth may alter the equilibrium point of that energy balance ??

MarkBurg said:
Thanks for your thoughts

A continuous column to the water table is one reference point possibility - and certainly one that I'd like to look at, but that situtaion is one where the dissolved methane concentration has actually reached the saturated capacity of water, and as you move further up the column methane degasses according to the holding capacity of the water - I don't have questions on how to describe this phenomenom.

What I'm trying to understand is how the dissolved methane concentration down a contiguous equilibrated water column might change due to the static pressure and temperature gradient alone - assuming all undersaturated
Sorry. I don't follow your question. Are you asking about the effect of overall pressure on methane equilibrium solubility? Are you saying that there are methane bubbles (saturated with water) escaping from the liquid as the pressure is reduced? Is this a 2 component phase equilibrium question?

Chestermiller said:
Sorry. I don't follow your question. Are you asking about the effect of overall pressure on methane equilibrium solubility? Are you saying that there are methane bubbles (saturated with water) escaping from the liquid as the pressure is reduced? Is this a 2 component phase equilibrium question?

No problem - I must not be explaining myself clearly enough. To your questions;
I'm not asking about how methane solubility changes with pressure - I understand this. Nor am I talking about a system with methane bubbles (I was only mentioning this in response to the scenario of a water table boundary conditon - this is not what I need to solve). Please find below as clear an explanation as I think I can make;

Imagine we had a giant lab experiment setup, with an enclosed pressurised cyclinder of distilled and degassed water, 200m in height - wrapped in a thermal blanket imposing a modest temperature gradient down the column

Top of the column: Pressure = 20 Bar
Temperature = 40 deg C

Bottom of the column: Pressure = 40 Bar
Temperature = 45 deg C

Now, we inject a known volume of gaseous methane into the column - a volume that is well below what the total column of water can dissolve, so there will be no gaseous phase methane present in the column - and let it equilibrate (perhaps mix it up first to help distribute evenly, but then just let it sit).

The dissolved methane concentrations are at a level that would require (for example) depressurizing the water by 10 Bar in order to liberate the very first gaseous methane bubbles in the column.

My question is: Prior to depressuriziation, what would we expect the equlibrated distribution of methane concentration down the column to be?

Is it as simple as constant? I have a sneaking suspicion that is not the case - and if not, what relationships should I use to describe?

I suspect that the gradient in dissolved methane partial pressures down the column might be controlled by the equivalent gaseous methane density gradient at those partial pressures...

Thanks again,

Mark

Last edited:
The real question is "how much does the chemical potential of methane dissolved in salt water change with pressure and temperature changes of 20 bars and 5 C, respectively?" In my judgment, it would have to be very close to a zero change, but I don't remember how to calculate this.

1. What is meant by dissolved gas concentration in undersaturated liquid column?

Dissolved gas concentration in undersaturated liquid column refers to the amount of gas that has been dissolved in a liquid column that is not completely saturated with gas. In other words, the liquid has the potential to dissolve more gas but it has not reached its maximum capacity.

2. How is the dissolved gas concentration in undersaturated liquid column measured?

The concentration of dissolved gas in an undersaturated liquid column can be measured using various methods such as gas chromatography, spectrophotometry, or titration. These methods involve extracting the dissolved gas from the liquid and then quantifying its concentration.

3. What factors affect the dissolved gas concentration in undersaturated liquid column?

The dissolved gas concentration in an undersaturated liquid column can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, salinity, and the chemical composition of the liquid. These factors can impact the solubility of the gas in the liquid, thus affecting its concentration.

4. What are the potential consequences of high dissolved gas concentration in undersaturated liquid column?

High concentrations of dissolved gas in an undersaturated liquid column can lead to gas bubble formation, which can cause damage to equipment or create safety hazards. It can also affect the physical and chemical properties of the liquid, potentially altering its behavior and effectiveness in certain applications.

5. How can the dissolved gas concentration in undersaturated liquid column be controlled?

The dissolved gas concentration in an undersaturated liquid column can be controlled by adjusting the temperature, pressure, and chemical composition of the liquid. Additionally, the use of gas-removing techniques such as degassing or sparging can also help to regulate the gas concentration in the liquid.