How Does Temperature Affect Physical States and Processes?

In summary, the conversation discusses various concepts related to temperature, energy, and the effects of different factors on them. These include the use of crushed ice to speed up cooling, the comparison of temperatures of air volumes, the effects of compression on temperature, and the relationship between energy absorption and radiation. It is important to note that the sun's radiation has shorter wavelengths because it is an energy source, while the Earth primarily receives energy.
cookies
I need help with homework .. here's the question please correct me if i am rong

Ice is put in a cooler in order to cool the contents. To speed up the cooling process, the ice can be
A. Wrapped in newspaper
B. Kept out of contact with the food
C. crushed.
D. Drained of Ie water periodicly.
ANSWER: C. crushed. <-- pretty sure Crushed will have a larger surface area, therefore a larger area that can be cooled at once

A volume of air has a temperature of 0degrees Celsius. An equal volume of air that is twice as hot has a temperature of
A. 100degree Celsius
B. 0degree Celsius
C. 2degree Celsius * i think its this one not sure*
D. 273degree Celsius
ANSWER: B. 0degree Celsius, I thought of this as a math problem because of the key word "is" which means multiply .. so 0 times 2=0

Compared to a glass of ice water with ice in it, a glass of plain ice-cold water without ice on a warm day will warm up
A. Faster * i think its this 1 not 100% sure*
B. Slower
C. In the same amount of time.
ANSWER: C I think its in the same amount of time because even though both are not the same, they still warm up in the same rate.

In the mountains, water boils at
A. a lower temperature than at sea level
B. Higher temperature than at sea level
C. Same temperature as at sea level
ANSWER: A Since the mountain is really high it takes a lower temperature? that's just a guess i am not sure.

When a volume if air is compresed, its temperature
A. Increase * I am like 90% sure*
B. Decrease
C. Neither

When a volume of air is compresed, its temperature
A. Increase
B. Decrease
C. Neither
ANSWER: A When volume increase temperature decrease but when volume is compressed temperature is increease? i think that's how it works

If an object radiates more energy than it absorbs, it's
A. temperature decreases
B. Thermal energy decreases
C. Both of these
ANSWER: C I think when anything radiates more energy than it absorbs, it has something to do with both temperature decrease and thermal energy decrease

The reason the sun's radiate energy is of shorter wave lenths than the Earth's is because the sun
A. Has a higher temperature than Earth
B. Has much more thermal energy
C. is an energy source while the Earth is primily an energy reciever
ANSWER: i am clueless rite here please help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
for the last one i believe it is C that the Earth is a reciver and the sun is a maker, for the first one i think that is also correct since it makes perfect sense, #2... wait what are you asking us? Since you have the answers already? are you looking for an explanation?

ANSWER: C. is an energy source while the Earth is primarily an energy receiver. The sun is a source of energy, while the Earth receives and absorbs that energy. This is why the wavelengths of energy from the sun are shorter than those from the Earth, which is just re-radiating the energy it receives from the sun.

Related to How Does Temperature Affect Physical States and Processes?

1. What is temperature in physics?

Temperature in physics is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system. It is often measured in units of Kelvin (K) or Celsius (°C).

2. How is temperature related to energy?

Temperature and energy are directly proportional to each other. As the temperature of a system increases, so does the average kinetic energy of its particles. This means that a system with a higher temperature has more energy than a system with a lower temperature.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a measure of the total energy in a system, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system. Heat is measured in units of Joules (J), while temperature is measured in units of Kelvin (K) or Celsius (°C).

4. How is temperature measured in physics experiments?

Temperature can be measured using a variety of instruments such as thermometers, thermocouples, and infrared cameras. These instruments measure the thermal energy of a system and convert it to a temperature reading.

5. How does temperature affect the behavior of matter?

As temperature increases, the particles in a system gain more kinetic energy and can move more freely. This can lead to changes in the behavior of matter, such as changes in phase (e.g. solid to liquid) or changes in volume (e.g. expansion of gases).