How Does Tension in a String Behave in Zero Gravity?

In summary, an astronaut in gravity-free space is twirling a mass m on the end of a string of length R in a circle with constant angular velocity. The net force can be written as F = F_{r} \widehat{r} + F_{\phi} \widehat{\phi} and the tension force is equal to F_{r}. Newton's Second Law in polar coordinates is F= m(F_{r} \widehat{r} + F_{\phi} \widehat{\phi}). The tangential force is equal to the tension force, and there is no need to account for air resistance since they are in free space. The difference between F_{r} (F within tex brackets)
Oblio
an astronaut in gravity free space is twirling a mass m on the end of a string of length R in a circle, with constant angular velocity. Write down Newtons second lasw in polar coordinates and find the tension of the string.

What makes up F(t) without acceleration and gravity? I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
There might not be gravity, but there's certainly acceleration. (Hint: Circular motion.)

I see that the net force can be written as:

F = F[tex]_{r}[/tex] [tex]\widehat{r}[/tex] + F[tex]_{\phi}[/tex] [tex]\widehat{\phi}[/tex]

So I believe my tension force is just F[tex]_{r}[/tex] ?

and N2L: F= m(F[tex]_{r}[/tex] [tex]\widehat{r}[/tex] + F[tex]_{\phi}[/tex] [tex]\widehat{\phi}[/tex]) ?

(for some reason my subscripts are appearing as superscripts)

Oblio said:
So I believe my tension force is just F[tex]_{r}[/tex] ?
OK. And since the angular velocity is constant, what's the tangential force?

I found in my text that

"F[tex]_{r}[/tex] would be the tension in the string and F[tex]_{\phi}[/tex] the force of air resistance retarding the stone in the tangential direction."

Do I need to account for air resistance in the tension or is it simply F[tex]_{r}[/tex]?

( On my computer anyways, subscripts are still appearing as superscripts, not sure why )

They are in free space--no air, no air resistance.

[tex]F_{r}[/tex] (F within tex brackets) versus F[tex]_{r}[/tex] (F outside of brackets)

Related to How Does Tension in a String Behave in Zero Gravity?

1. What is tension force on an astronaut?

Tension force is the force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled in opposite directions by two or more forces. In the case of an astronaut, tension force is the force that is exerted on their body due to the pull of gravity and other external forces.

2. How does tension force affect astronauts in space?

Tension force can have a significant impact on astronauts in space as it can cause strain on their body and joints. This is especially true during extravehicular activities (EVAs) where astronauts are required to move and work in a weightless environment.

3. What factors contribute to the tension force on an astronaut?

The tension force on an astronaut is affected by a variety of factors, including the force of gravity, the weight of the astronaut's body, and the forces exerted by their equipment and tools. Other factors such as the astronaut's position and movement also play a role in determining the tension force.

4. How do astronauts manage tension force during EVAs?

Astronauts are trained to manage tension force during EVAs by using proper body positioning and techniques to minimize strain on their body. They also use specialized equipment, such as tethers and restraints, to help distribute the tension force evenly and reduce the risk of injury.

5. Can high levels of tension force be dangerous for astronauts?

High levels of tension force can be dangerous for astronauts, as it can cause strain and fatigue on their body, making it difficult for them to perform tasks. In extreme cases, it can also lead to injuries such as muscle tears or joint dislocations. Therefore, it is important for astronauts to carefully manage tension force during EVAs to ensure their safety and the success of their mission.