How does the angle γ change under inversion in Euler angles?

In summary, the Euler angles (αβγ) are defined as in the image and are transformed under inversion as follows: α → π+α and β → π-β. However, it is unclear how γ transforms under inversion, as it can be measured from different intersection lines. This question does not fall under the category of topology or analysis.
ftft
The well known Euler angles (αβγ) are defined as in the image
200px-EulerProjections.svg.png

It is easy to see that under inversion
α → π+α
β → π-β
but I cannot figure out how γ transforms under inversion. actually I am stuck at the question whether I should measure it from the same intersection line ON (thence γ →π+γ) or if the latter is also inverted (I think then I will have γ→γ)

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I'm not convinced that the two formulas you have are, in fact, "easy to see." Second, I don't understand how this question falls under the category of topology or analysis.

Oops! Then I am moving my question to general math

1. What are Euler angles?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that describe the orientation of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. They are commonly used to represent rotations in aerospace and robotics applications.

2. What is the purpose of inverting Euler angles?

The inversion of Euler angles is used to determine the orientation of a body from a given set of Euler angles. This is useful in applications where the orientation of a body needs to be calculated from sensor data or other measurements.

3. How is the inversion of Euler angles performed?

The inversion of Euler angles involves applying a series of rotations in the opposite direction of the original Euler angles. This can be done using a rotation matrix or quaternion representation.

4. What challenges can arise when inverting Euler angles?

One of the main challenges in inverting Euler angles is the issue of gimbal lock, which occurs when one of the angles reaches a value of 90 degrees. This can cause a loss of one degree of freedom and lead to incorrect calculations of the body's orientation.

5. Can the inversion of Euler angles be used for all types of rotations?

No, the inversion of Euler angles is only suitable for certain types of rotations, such as rotations around a single axis or a combination of two axes. For more complex rotations, other methods such as quaternions or rotation matrices may be more appropriate.