How do I KNOW that Euler angles are sufficient?

In summary: I don't know how to put this... they seem to do what is requested more easily than Tait-Bryan angles, but I am not sure why.
Trying2Learn
Hello

Before I "phrase" my question (and that may be my problem), may I first state what I do know.

I understand that a Rotation matrix (a member of SO(3)) has nine elements.

I also understand that orthogonality imposes constraints, leaving only three free parameters (a sub-manifold)

I also understand that there are 12 ways to describe a rotation using extrinsic (from the inertial) or intrinsic (from the rotating body) coordinates.

These 12 intrinsic ways can be grouped as Euler angles or Tait-Bryan.

With Euler, the third axis of rotation repeats the first (6 combinations). With Tait-Bryan, all three are unique (still 6 combinations)

So far, so good.

Now let me focus on translations. I FEEL (I know, odd word, but please bear with me) that one needs 3 coordinates in classical space to define a position of a body.

But I cannot seem to get a same, "feeling" about the angles.

First, it is not obvious or intuitive to me that the Euler angles SHOULD do what is requested (orient a body). I am "unnerved" (again, sorry, no other word comes to mind) that one of the angles repeats. Then, for that matter, I cannot intuitively feel that the Tait-Bryan should work, either.

I read the theory on this, and I can follow the geometry of how these two systems can orient a body.

I just cannot "see" in my mind's eye, why they should work, as easily as I see it for translations.

Can anyone provide any insight? Mostly for the Euler, but also for the Tait-Bryan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me give this a try for Euler, using how I visualise it.

Imagine the unit sphere, with the original system of coordinates x,y,z, embedded in it. Your goal is to rotate the system such that the x''' axis points at a certain place on the sphere, with the z''' axis in a given direction. Now imagine the great circle passing at that point and forming a plane perpendicular to the z''' axis. The first rotation around z rotates the coordinate system such that x' is now on that great circle. The rotation around x' brings the z' (= z) axis such that it points in the direction desired for z''' (z'' = z'''). The last rotation is then around z'', along the great circle, to bring x'' to x'''.

Do you "feel" comfortable with the idea that any rotation can be achieved with a sum of infinitesmal rotations?
Do you "feel" comfortable with infinitesmal rotations commuting?

DrClaude said:
Let me give this a try for Euler, using how I visualise it.

Imagine the unit sphere, with the original system of coordinates x,y,z, embedded in it. Your goal is to rotate the system such that the x''' axis points at a certain place on the sphere, with the z''' axis in a given direction. Now imagine the great circle passing at that point and forming a plane perpendicular to the z''' axis. The first rotation around z rotates the coordinate system such that x' is now on that great circle. The rotation around x' brings the z' (= z) axis such that it points in the direction desired for z''' (z'' = z'''). The last rotation is then around z'', along the great circle, to bring x'' to x'''.

I do not understand this sentence: "with the z''' axis in a given direction"

Vanadium 50 said:
Do you "feel" comfortable with the idea that any rotation can be achieved with a sum of infinitesmal rotations?
Do you "feel" comfortable with infinitesmal rotations commuting?

Sort of, yes. but where are you going with this?

Trying2Learn said:
I do not understand this sentence: "with the z''' axis in a given direction"
It corresponds to the same as for the x''' axis, meaning pointing at a given point on the unit sphere.

Hi
DrClaude said:
It corresponds to the same as for the x''' axis, meaning pointing at a given point on the unit sphere.

Hi, I was wondering if this is sufficient:

"One can locate an arrow from the center of the Earth to any place on its surface, with two coordinates: longitude and latitude. Then, assuming the arrow is a body, one then only need rotate it about is own axis. This suggests there are only three coordinates to orient a body in 3D space."

Would this be sufficient?

Likes FactChecker
Trying2Learn said:
"One can locate an arrow from the center of the Earth to any place on its surface, with two coordinates: longitude and latitude. Then, assuming the arrow is a body, one then only need rotate it about is own axis. This suggests there are only three coordinates to orient a body in 3D space."

Would this be sufficient?
Yes, that's one way to see it.

You should be aware of a couple of things:
1) There are more than one representation that are called "Euler Angles", so you should be specific about your coordinate system and rotations.
2) Euler angles suffer from a problem called "gimble lock" because there is a direction that is a singularity. The Euler angles make sudden jumps when an orientation moves through that direction.

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude

1. What are Euler angles and why are they used?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that define the orientation of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in computer graphics, robotics, and aerospace engineering to represent rotations and orientations of objects.

2. Can Euler angles represent any possible orientation?

No, Euler angles have a limited range of motion and can only represent rotations around a fixed axis. This means that they cannot fully describe all possible orientations in three-dimensional space.

3. How do I convert between Euler angles and other rotation representations?

There are several conversion methods available, such as quaternion, rotation matrix, and axis-angle representations. These methods involve mathematical calculations and may require some knowledge of linear algebra.

4. Are Euler angles unique?

No, there are different conventions for representing Euler angles, and the order in which the rotations are performed can also affect the resulting values. This means that two sets of Euler angles can represent the same orientation.

5. What are the limitations of using Euler angles?

Euler angles can suffer from a phenomenon known as "gimbal lock", where one angle becomes redundant and the range of motion is reduced. This can also lead to numerical instability and errors in calculations. In addition, Euler angles can be difficult to interpret and visualize, especially for complex rotations.