How does the Capstan Law Determine T1 and T2 When the Capstan is Rotating?

In summary: So the virtual work is:W = F + W'This is just a simplification and doesn't take into account the rotational motion of the capstan.In summary, the terms Load and Effort refer to a machine, which is defined as an arrangement to do Work - aka transfer Energy. If there is no 'defined' direction for the direction of transfer then you can't say which is the load and which is the effort. Virtual work is a useful concept for situations where there is no movement.
physea
Hello!

Capstan law is T2=T1e^μθ.

I have problem identifying T1 and T2 in various situations:

1) when the capstan is not rotating
2) when the capstan is rotating

how can I identify which side is T1 and which T2?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Naming the forces descriptively rather than numbers may help:

Tload =Tefforteμθ

It doesn't matter whether the capstan is rotating or not. Identifying which is Tload and which is Teffort should be obvious in most cases.

I still don't understand what is load and what is effort. How can I determine that in a situation like the below?
upload_2016-5-4_17-52-25.png

Is it always the heavier load the Tload and the lighter Teffort? What if it is not given which is heavier and which lighter? Or if a heavier object is at an incline which makes the net force smaller?

physea said:
I still don't understand what is load and what is effort.
Wiki's often helpful:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capstan_equation

How can I determine that in a situation like the below?

Well your picture identifies which is the tight and slack which I would expect to correspond to load and effort. Tight being high tension = load, slack being low tension = effort. In other words M > 100kg.
They could just have easily reversed the tight and slack side labelling in which case M < 100kg.
If the tight and slack side were not labelled at all you could find the max M value (>100kg), which corresponds to M being the load, and the minimum M value (<100kg) which corresponds to M being the effort.
The weights will be stationary if M is anywhere between these two limits.

S you are saying that the biggest force is always the Tload and the smaller force is Teffort? If yes, nice, that's what I wanted: a rule to decide which is which.

physea said:
S you are saying that the biggest force is always the Tload and the smaller force is Teffort? If yes, nice, that's what I wanted: a rule to decide which is which.
Yes, that's right.

physea said:
Work put in times efficiency = Work got out
or
Feffort times distance moved times Efficiency = Fload times distance moved
Efficiency is always less than one.

sophiecentaur said:
Work put in times efficiency = Work got out
or
Feffort times distance moved times Efficiency = Fload times distance moved
Efficiency is always less than one.

thanks but irrelevant with the topic

physea said:
thanks but irrelevant with the topic
I would say that is very relevant because it determines which way the energy is flowing. Isn't that relevant to the thread?

Who asked about energy? There is no energy involved as there is no movement.

physea said:
Who asked about energy? There is no energy involved as there is no movement.
The terms Load and Effort refer to a machine. That is defined as an arrangement to do Work - aka transfer Energy. If there is no 'defined' direction for the direction of transfer then you can't say which is the load and which is the effort. That was the message in the OP. When the capstan is rotating there is energy involved.
When there is no movement, you can use the idea of Virtual Work, where an infinitesimal movement is allowed. I remember doing that at A level - but not since.

I am not sure what you did at A levels
Here it is supposed that the effort force is less than the load force, so the efficiency of the capstan is above 1

The ratio of the forces is not the efficiency. Efficiency involves Work in and Work out. (Forces times distances)
In the words of my A level course :
Efficiency is Mechanical Advantage / Velocity Ratio. That will never be greater than unity.
But is the use of the terms Load andEffort helpful or appropriate? If you want to use them then the effort would presumably refer to the force from the load / weight on the end of the rope - the source of energy, if there were any slippage. The load would be the force from your hand - which would be less, due to the friction and so the efficiency would be less than unity (which fits with what we know about efficiency) Using the idea of virtual work (an infinitesimal slippage) - a movement of Δx, the work input would be the work against friction plus the work on the hand.

Related to How does the Capstan Law Determine T1 and T2 When the Capstan is Rotating?

1. What is the Capstan law?

The Capstan law, also known as the law of friction, is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to a rope or cable and the tension it creates. It states that the tension in a rope or cable is directly proportional to the force applied to it and the coefficient of friction between the rope and the surface it is wrapped around.

2. What is a Capstan law force?

A Capstan law force is the force that is created when a rope or cable is wrapped around a surface, such as a capstan or pulley. This force is a result of the tension in the rope or cable and the coefficient of friction between the rope and the surface it is wrapped around.

3. How is the Capstan law used in real life?

The Capstan law is used in various real-life applications, such as sailing, rock climbing, and lifting heavy objects. It is also used in machinery and equipment that use ropes or cables, like elevators, cranes, and winches. The Capstan law allows for the efficient transfer of force from one point to another and helps prevent slippage of the rope or cable.

4. What factors affect the Capstan law force?

The Capstan law force is affected by the coefficient of friction between the rope and the surface it is wrapped around, the angle at which the rope is wrapped, and the amount of force applied to the rope. These factors can be manipulated to increase or decrease the resulting force.

5. How is the Capstan law related to other laws of physics?

The Capstan law is related to other laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of moments. It is also related to the concept of mechanical advantage, which is the ratio of the output force to the input force in a simple machine like a capstan or pulley system. Understanding the Capstan law allows for the efficient design and use of these systems.