How does the change in diameter relate to the change in length?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab where a metal rod was heated and expanded. The task was to calculate the linear coefficient of thermal expansion, which the person did successfully. However, they are unsure about how to determine the change in diameter of the rod. After some discussion, it is determined that the diameter can be estimated using the same equation as the length, as long as the material behaves isotropically. Alternatively, one can measure the mass and use the density to determine the volume and then calculate the diameter.
demonslayer42

Homework Statement

Find the change in diameter of the metal rod.

So I did a lab in class. We heated up a metal rod by putting it in a "jacket" and heating it with steam and it expanded. We were asked to calculate the liner coefficient. Well I did that just fine. I determine that the rod was copper. But how do I fined the change in diameter?

Length of Rod: 600mm

Temperature initial : 22.5 C
Temperature Final : 99.4 C
Change in Temperature :76.9 C

X initial: 5.849mm
X final 6.622mm
Change in length = .773mm

Change in Length = coefficient*length*change in Temperature

[tex]\Delta[/tex]L = [tex]\alpha[/tex] L [tex]\Delta[/tex]T

.773 = coefficient*600*76.9

So anyways my theoretical calculations coefficient = 16.75*10^-6 / C

Copper's coefficient is 17*10^-6/ C

I took the percent difference 1.47% off of actual. Great.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to figure this out without the radius, circumference, or volume. Is it even possible?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At some point - preferably before heating - you should have measured the diameter of the rod. If not, then you can only give a theoretical Δd, using variables. Diameter is a linear dimension. Thus, it will change according to the same rule as the length.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but neither my professor nor did the lab manual specify that. Oh actually, I just read the question again and it says : "Estimate" the change in diameter of the rod. Maybe it means I'm not suppose to actually calculate it but make a theoretical guess? Can I assume that the diameter increased equal to the length?

If, by "equal to length" you mean using the same equation, yes. Just change your "L"s to "d"s.

demonslayer42 said:
That's exactly what I was thinking, but neither my professor nor did the lab manual specify that. Oh actually, I just read the question again and it says : "Estimate" the change in diameter of the rod. Maybe it means I'm not suppose to actually calculate it but make a theoretical guess? Can I assume that the diameter increased equal to the length?
This is a fundamental concept in materials. The linear coefficient of thermal expansion applies to a direction (linear = in a line). If one measures the LCTE in one direction, then one can apply to the normal directions - assuming the material behaves isotropically. Some materials, e.g., hcp metals, are anisotropic.

The diameter is simply another linear dimension. p21bass describes it well.

If one didn't measure the diameter or volume, one could measure the mass, and using the density, determine the volume. From the volume and length, one can determine the area with reasonable certainty, and from area, one can determine diameter.

Related to How does the change in diameter relate to the change in length?

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a material to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature.

2. Why does brass expand when heated?

Brass is made up of a combination of copper and zinc, which have different coefficients of thermal expansion. When heated, these two metals expand at different rates, causing the brass to expand as a whole.

3. How does the thermal expansion of brass compare to other materials?

Brass has a relatively high coefficient of thermal expansion compared to other metals, meaning it expands more when heated. However, it is not as high as some polymers and ceramics.

4. How is the thermal expansion of brass measured?

The thermal expansion of brass is typically measured using a dilatometer, which measures the change in length of a sample of brass as it is heated or cooled.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding thermal expansion of brass?

Understanding the thermal expansion of brass is important in many industries, such as construction and manufacturing. It can help engineers and designers account for changes in dimensions due to temperature fluctuations and prevent structural failures.