How does the Electric Potential change when -q goes to -2q?

In summary, the problem discusses the placement of a positive and negative charged particle on the x-axis and asks to find the potential at all points along the y-axis. The equation used is delta phi = -E dot dr and the answer is given in terms of k, q, a, and y. The concept of electric potential is explained as a scalar, unlike electric field which is a vector, and can be found by adding the potential from each source.
durhamisnuts

Homework Statement

Imagine that a particle with positive charge +q is placed on the x-axis at x=+a and a particle with negative charge -2q is placed on the x-axis at x= -a. Find the potential at all points along the y axis.

Homework Equations

delta phi = -E dot dr

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't a homework problem, it's just a problem in the book I'm working on to get a better understanding of electric potential. I was wondering if someone could explain electric potential to me, and i figured the easiest way would be with a problem. The answer is given in terms of k, q, a, and y.

I know that had the it been -q instead of -2q the answer would be zero, but I am not sure how the physics works when it is -2.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi durhamisnuts! welcome to pf! :wink:

potential is a scalar

(unlike electric field, which is a vector)

ie, it's just a number, it has no direction …

so to get the potential from two or more sources, you find the potential from each, and add them

it's that easy! :smile:

Related to How does the Electric Potential change when -q goes to -2q?

1. What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for calculating electric potential is V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential in volts, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q is the charge in coulombs, and r is the distance between the charges in meters.

2. How does the electric potential change when the charge is doubled?

When the charge is doubled, the electric potential also doubles. This is because the electric potential is directly proportional to the charge. As the charge increases, the electric potential also increases.

3. Does the distance between charges affect the electric potential?

Yes, the distance between charges affects the electric potential. As distance increases, the electric potential decreases. This is because the electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance between charges.

4. How does changing the sign of the charge affect the electric potential?

Changing the sign of the charge does not affect the electric potential. The electric potential is a scalar quantity and is independent of the direction of the charge. However, the direction of the electric field may change depending on the sign of the charge.

5. How does the electric potential change when multiple charges are present?

The electric potential due to multiple charges is the sum of the individual electric potentials. This means that the electric potential will increase or decrease depending on the net charge and distance of the multiple charges. It is important to note that the electric potential at a point is only affected by the charges that are present at that point.