How does the mass of a ball affect the % of energy loss

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between the mass of a ball and the percentage of energy loss when it bounces. The equations mentioned are Ep=mgh and eff=eout/ein x 100%, but the person speaking is not familiar with the coefficient of restitution. They are looking for an explanation as to why mass does not seem to affect energy loss. One possible explanation offered is that doubling the mass also doubles the energy invested, resulting in the same percentage of energy loss. However, it is also mentioned that there could be a scenario where the mass does affect the percentage loss, such as in a nanoscale setting.
Drake M

Homework Statement

I am wondering how the mass of a ball affects the percentage of energy loss when the ball bounces.

Homework Equations

Ep=mgh
eff=eout/ein x 100%

The Attempt at a Solution

1)I don't think it affects them because if the ball is heavier but still made of the same material it has the same elasticity and density only mass has changed. But if all of the starting Ep goes to Ek then it should have generally the same efficiency. If this is correct please tell me why its correct and if its wrong then explain it. Thanks in advance. Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with coefficient of restitution? If so, write down the equation for rebound velocity.

No, we haven't learned that in class so we wouldn't be allowed to use it as a reason on a test or lab. I am just trying to think of a reasonable explanation as to why. I did the experiment but there didn't seem to be correlation between the two variables.

Basically what I'm asking is why doesn't mass affect energy loss

Drake M said:
Basically what I'm asking is why doesn't mass affect energy loss
There is no lay-down reason. It comes out of the physics behind bouncing, as is described by the equation involving coefficient of restitution. I can offer an explanation of why it might not affect the percentage lost. Doubling the mass doubles the energy invested. If it also doubles the energy lost then the percentage doesn't change. Does it seem reasonable that doubling the energy in doubles the loss?

On the other hand, I can conceive of a physical behaviour in which the mass does affect the percentage loss. Imagine dropping an assembly consisting of a small mass stuck on top of an egg stuck on top of a rubber pad, just a short distance. If the mass is small enough the egg stays intact and you get a decent bounce. With a heavier mass the egg cracks and the bounce is less. You could also imagine an analogous behaviour at the nanoscale within a material.

Likes Drake M
Thanks

1. How does the mass of a ball affect the % of energy loss?

The mass of a ball does not directly affect the % of energy loss. However, it can indirectly affect it by changing other factors such as velocity and surface area.

2. Does a heavier ball have a higher % of energy loss compared to a lighter ball?

Not necessarily. The % of energy loss depends on various factors such as the material, surface, and velocity of the ball. A heavier ball may have a higher % of energy loss if it is moving at a higher velocity or if it has a larger surface area.

3. Is there a relationship between the mass of a ball and the % of energy loss?

There is no direct relationship between the mass of a ball and the % of energy loss. However, there can be an indirect relationship depending on the other factors that affect the % of energy loss.

4. How does the surface area of a ball affect the % of energy loss?

The surface area of a ball can affect the % of energy loss by increasing or decreasing the amount of air resistance it experiences. A larger surface area can result in a higher % of energy loss due to increased air resistance, while a smaller surface area may result in a lower % of energy loss.

5. Can the mass of a ball be manipulated to decrease the % of energy loss?

Yes, the mass of a ball can indirectly affect the % of energy loss by changing other factors such as velocity and surface area. By decreasing the velocity or surface area, the % of energy loss can be reduced. Additionally, using materials with properties that minimize energy loss can also decrease the % of energy loss.