What is the Average Power of Energy Loss for a Bouncing Ball?

In summary, the ball loses energy after each bounce until it reaches the level of the previous stair.
momo1111

Homework Statement

A ball bounces down a uniform flight of stairs of height H , rising after each
bounce to to the level h of the previous stair .
the velocity of the ball before the impact is equal in all the impacts .

what is the average power of energy loss ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2e22ssx.jpg

first attempt :
at points A ,B, the ball has just a potential energy, ball’s horizontal velocity seems to be
not relevant (cancel out ).

in A - E = mg(h+H)
in B - E = mgh

EA = EB + Wothers
Wothers = mg(h+H) - mgh = mgh
So the energy loss is actually a constant ...
what I'm missing ?

Physics news on Phys.org
momo1111 said:
Wothers = mg(h+H) - mgh = mgh
mg(h+H) - mgh = mgH

momo1111 said:
So the energy loss is actually a constant ...
what I'm missing ?
The energy lost per cycle is constant. So you found the energy lost after one cycle but the question asked about the average rate that energy is lost, so you're not quite finished.Side note: no calculations are necessary to find the energy lost per cycle:
For the velocity to be the same before each bounce, it must lose as much energy in the collision as it gains from falling down the next step. Therefore the energy lost is mgH.

Likes momo1111
...mgH of course:)
Q : So what is the average rate that energy is lost ?
some scrawling ...
if [itex]mgH [/itex]is the energy lost per cycle ...and if at some point it was [itex]E_0 [/itex]then after ...
say [itex] 5 [/itex] steps it become [itex]E_0 - 5 (mgH)[/itex] ...

so they ask me to find [itex] \frac{E_0-5(mgH)}{5} [/itex] or [itex]\frac{E_0-12(mgH)}{12}[/itex]...?
don't really understand the question .

momo1111 said:
...mgH of course:)
Q : So what is the average rate that energy is lost ?
some scrawling ...
if [itex]mgH [/itex]is the energy lost per cycle ...and if at some point it was [itex]E_0 [/itex]then after ...
say [itex] 5 [/itex] steps it become [itex]E_0 - 5 (mgH)[/itex] ...

so they ask me to find [itex] \frac{E_0-5(mgH)}{5} [/itex] or [itex]\frac{E_0-12(mgH)}{12}[/itex]...?
don't really understand the question .
You need to use H and h to find the duration of each cycle.

haruspex said:
You need to use H and h to find the duration of each cycle.
How ?
the ball bounce at some parabolic curve .
the time of flight depends on the initial vertical velocity , [itex] v_{0y} [/itex] .
i know that [itex] |\vec v_0| =\sqrt{2gh} [/itex] ,and that it .[itex] |v_{0y}| = ?[/itex] .

momo1111 said:
i know that [itex] |\vec v_0| =\sqrt{2gh} [/itex]
Not quite.
Think about the energy between the moment after the collision and the moment when it has risen a height h. What is the change in kinetic energy?

Obviously I am missing something :)
29uwuva.png

momo1111 said:
Obviously I am missing something :)
What is the kinetic energy at the top of the path? Your equation assumes it's zero.

Nathanael said:
What is the kinetic energy at the top of the path? Your equation assumes it's zero.
That is not relevant, and indeed unknown. The horizontal speed is constant, so is not involved in power loss.
momo1111 said:
How ?
the ball bounce at some parabolic curve .
the time of flight depends on the initial vertical velocity , [itex] v_{0y} [/itex] .
i know that [itex] |\vec v_0| =\sqrt{2gh} [/itex] ,and that it .[itex] |v_{0y}| = ?[/itex] .
Don't worry about the velocity. A ball is thrown up a height h. How long does it take o reach its highest point? (You need a SUVAT equation that involves t, a, s and final speed of 0.). Then it falls h+H.

haruspex said:
That is not relevant, and indeed unknown. The horizontal speed is constant, so is not involved in power loss.
My point was that the horizontal component of velocity cancels out in the energy equation... Therefore you can find the vertical component of velocity in terms of h (which the OP wanted to use to solve for the time).

Nathanael said:
My point was that the horizontal component of velocity cancels out in the energy equation... Therefore you can find the vertical component of velocity in terms of h (which the OP wanted to use to solve for the time).
Ok.

1. What factors affect the energy loss of a bouncing ball?

The energy loss of a bouncing ball depends on several factors, including the material of the ball, the surface it bounces on, and the height from which it is dropped. The elasticity and air pressure of the ball also play a role in energy loss.

2. How does the height from which a ball is dropped affect its energy loss?

The higher the height from which a ball is dropped, the greater the energy loss upon each bounce. This is because the ball has more potential energy when dropped from a higher height, which is converted into kinetic energy upon impact and results in a higher rebound, causing more energy to be dissipated.

3. Does the surface affect the energy loss of a bouncing ball?

Yes, the surface on which a ball bounces can greatly impact its energy loss. A softer surface, such as grass or carpet, will absorb more of the ball's energy upon impact, resulting in a lower rebound and greater energy loss. A harder surface, such as concrete or hardwood, will have less absorption and result in a higher rebound and less energy loss.

4. Why does the material of the ball affect its energy loss?

The material of the ball determines its elasticity, which is the ability to deform and return to its original shape upon impact. A more elastic ball will have less energy loss, as it can better retain its kinetic energy upon bouncing. A less elastic ball, such as a rubber ball, will have more energy loss as it deforms more upon impact, converting some of its energy into heat and sound.

5. Is there a way to reduce the energy loss of a bouncing ball?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the energy loss of a bouncing ball. Using a more elastic ball or a surface that is less absorbent can help minimize energy loss. Additionally, decreasing the height from which the ball is dropped can also reduce energy loss. However, it is impossible to completely eliminate energy loss, as it is a natural occurrence due to the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy upon impact.