How does the Pauli Exclusion Principle in this problem?

In the book's notation, all you can say is that the three electrons have ml1, ml2, and ml3 as possible values. It is only when you measure them that they get definite values. Until then, they exist in all possible states simultaneously.In summary, the conversation discusses the exclusion of certain states in the quantum numbers of electrons due to the Pauli Exclusion principle. It explains that in the quartet S state with S = 3/2 and for p-electrons, only one electron can occupy each of the three ml states, resulting in a total orbital angular momentum of zero. This explains why the quartet P, D, and F states are excluded, while the quartet S state is allowed
whatapples

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem. It's an example in a textbook.

3 electrons.

For ##S=3/2##, we have that
$$
m_{s_1}
= m_{s_2}
= m_{s_3} = 1/2
$$

Therefore by the Pauli Exclusion principle,

$$
m_{l_1}
\neq m_{l_2}
\neq m_{l_3}
$$

and they take the values ##-1,0,1## respectively since each electron has ##l=\{0,1\}##. I understand so far. Then it says that ##^4P## and ##^4D## and ##^4F## are excluded because of this. This is where I got confused. Why is this?And why is it that ##^4S## is allowed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the ##s## quantum number is the same for all and that ##l## is the same for two of the electrons but those two can always have a different ##m_l##. So ##L=0## is the only ##L## allowed? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the assumption here is that they are all ##p##-electrons. Furthermore, they should all have the same ms=+½. This means you can only put one of them in each of the three ##p##-orbitals. Thus, the four states in the quartet of S = 3/2 are all three up for MS = 3/2; two up and one down for MS = 1/2; two down and one up for MS = -1/2; all three down for MS = -3/2. Note that in all of these states there is one electron in each of the three ml states giving a total orbital angular momentum of zero*. Hence the quartet S state. To get a D state (L = 2) you need more orbital angular momentum. That means flipping the spin of one of the electrons and doubling up the ml = 1 orbital, but then it would not be a quartet state because of the flipped spin. Similar considerations apply to the other orbitals. For example the ground state of Fe3+ with 5 ##d##-electrons is a sextet 6S5/2.

kuruman said:
I think the assumption here is that they are all ##p##-electrons. Furthermore, they should all have the same ms=+½. This means you can only put one of them in each of the three ##p##-orbitals. Thus, the four states in the quartet of S = 3/2 are all three up for MS = 3/2; two up and one down for MS = 1/2; two down and one up for MS = -1/2; all three down for MS = -3/2. Note that in all of these states there is one electron in each of the three ml states giving a total orbital angular momentum of zero*. Hence the quartet S state. To get a D state (L = 2) you need more orbital angular momentum. That means flipping the spin of one of the electrons and doubling up the ml = 1 orbital, but then it would not be a quartet state because of the flipped spin. Similar considerations apply to the other orbitals. For example the ground state of Fe3+ with 5 ##d##-electrons is a sextet 6S5/2.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is assumed that they are all p-electrons. Forgot to mention that.

I still don't understand something. Why does ##M_L=0## imply that ##L=0##?

If ##L=1## that could be had from ##l_1=1, l_2=1, l_3=1## with ##||1-1|+1|## and ##m_{l_1} = 0, m_{l_2} = 1, m_{l_3} = -1## so where is the violation?

Also in the ##L=2## case cannot you just see that ##l_1=1, l_2=1, l_3=1## cannot ever result in ##L=2##?

I' ll have to draw you a diagram. Stay tuned.

Here is the schematic diagram as promised. It shows two of the four states in the quartet 4S. The other two, Sz = -1/2 and Sz = -3/2 are obtained simply by flipping all the arrows by 180o so I skipped them. Note that Lz = ml1 + ml2 + ml3 = 0 for all 4 states.

ML = 0 does not necessarily imply that L = 0. The point to be made here is that if you have a half-filled shell (3 ##p##-electrons, 5 ##d##-electrons, 7 ##f##-electrons, etc.) and demand maximum spin multiplicity (3/2, 5/2, 7/2 etc.), then the total angular momentum must be zero. A half-filled shell has the same spherically symmetric spatial distribution as a completely filled shell.

p levels.png

Attachments

• p levels.png
    p levels.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 415
Likes whatapples
Thanks. The last two sentences make the whole situation very easy to understand.

I think what the book was trying to say is that if you calculate all the possible ##M_L## levels and then take the maximum ##M_L##, then since that is just the projection of ##L## you can take that as the value of ##L##. So if ##\max M_L=0## then ##L=0##.

What I learned from your drawing is that ##M_S=1/2## is a superposition of all possible arrangements and not just one such arrangement at random.

whatapples said:
What I learned from your drawing is that MS=1/2 is a superposition of all possible arrangements and not just one such arrangement at random.
That is correct. The three electrons are indistinguishable, you can't say that Fred has ml=1, Maria ml = 0 and Ahmed ml=-1.

1. What is the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that in a system, each fermion must have a unique set of quantum numbers.

2. How does the Pauli Exclusion Principle affect the behavior of electrons?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle determines the electron configuration of atoms and how electrons behave in different energy levels. It also explains the stability of matter and the formation of chemical bonds between atoms.

3. What is the importance of the Pauli Exclusion Principle in understanding the properties of matter?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is crucial in understanding the properties of matter at a microscopic level. It explains why matter takes up space and has distinct physical and chemical properties. Without this principle, atoms and molecules would not exist in their current form, and the universe as we know it would not exist.

4. How does the Pauli Exclusion Principle apply to atoms with multiple electrons?

In atoms with multiple electrons, the Pauli Exclusion Principle dictates that no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers. This results in the arrangement of electrons in different energy levels and subshells, which gives atoms their unique electronic configurations.

5. Can the Pauli Exclusion Principle be violated?

No, the Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fundamental law in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally proven to hold true. Violating this principle would result in completely different behavior and properties of matter, which is not observed in the natural world.