How does the quantum of action cause indeterminism?

pholmes
How and/or why does the existence of the quantum of action (Planck's constant) cause indeterminism?

Physics news on Phys.org
pholmes said:
How and/or why does the existence of the quantum of action (Planck's constant) cause indeterminism?
Who said it did?

pholmes said:
It doesn't.
Non-determinism appears in quantum mechanics because the standard mathematical formulation of the theory doesn't calculate "what happens" the way that for example Newton's three laws allow us to calculate what happens to an object subject to various forces. Instead the laws of quantum mechanics calculate the probability of various outcomes, but which one we actually get is random.

A good layman-friendly introduction to the theory is Giancarlo Ghirardi's book "Sneaking a look at God's cards"; better but more mathematically demanding would be a college-level textbook or even Ballentine's "Quantum Mechanics: A modern approach".

Likes vanhees71
Sadly, the OP likes starting threads in a controversial fashion, and then not participate. I would suggest we hold off on putting a lot of effort into this until he clarifies Peter's point.

Likes vanhees71
@pholmes my post #2 was a request for a reference. If you cannot provide a reference that makes the claim you are asking about in your OP, then we don't have a valid basis for discussion.

Likes vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
I apologize. I found the reference where I thought it said that, and it doesn't really say that. I searched at length and failed to find any other reputable site on the internet that said that. This is only the 2nd thread I have started. I'll keep the quality up in the future.

Likes Demystifier, vanhees71 and PeroK
pholmes said:
I found the reference where I thought it said that, and it doesn't really say that. I searched at length and failed to find any other reputable site on the internet that said that.
Ok. In view of that, this thread is closed.

Likes vanhees71