Understanding Planck's Quantum of Action: A Guide for Beginners

• I
  • Thread starter Hakimderubeis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the speaker is working on a university project involving Planck's constant and the photoelectric effect and reverse voltage method. They have not studied quantum physics before and are looking for resources to better understand the experiment. They have been advised to research the photoelectric effect, Einstein's Nobel Prize, and Planck's blackbody curve on Wikipedia.
Hakimderubeis
So, I am doing a Uni project with Planck's constant. What I need to do is determine Planck´s "quantum action" with help from the Photo effect and reverse voltage method. The thing is that I have never learned Quantumphysics or stuff like that. So, what and where should I begin to learn?

(Sorry if this question doesn't belong here, first time writing in this forum)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a formal description of what is expected from you?
You have offered no description of your level of schooling (it is very difficult to help in this circumstance)
What do you want to learn from this experience?

Likes topsquark
So, I need to make a scientific paper about this photocell experiment, where you need to determine the Plank's constant with the help of the photo effect and reverse voltage method. I am at the university but this is supposed to be an introductory work for quantum physics. What I am exactly looking for are not answers but places, books, or main topics for a better understanding of the experiment. I have never studied quantum physics but already learned electrostatics.

(Sorry is my first time writing in a forum so I don't know if I am doing it right)

(You are doing fine.) Have you researched the "photoelectric effect" and "Einstein Nobel Prize" and Planck blackbody curve ? Wikipedia does OK on these I think.

Likes bhobba and topsquark
hutchphd said:
(You are doing fine.) Have you researched the "photoelectric effect" and "Einstein Nobel Prize" and Planck blackbody curve ? Wikipedia does OK on these I think.
hmmm, I am going to do that. Thanks, mate.

1. What is Planck's quantum of action?

Planck's quantum of action, also known as Planck's constant, is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that represents the smallest possible unit of energy. It is denoted by the symbol h and has a value of approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds.

2. Why is Planck's quantum of action important?

Planck's quantum of action is important because it helps to explain the discrete nature of energy in quantum systems. It also plays a crucial role in many calculations and equations in quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

3. How did Planck discover the quantum of action?

In 1900, Max Planck was studying the problem of blackbody radiation and was unable to explain the experimental results using classical physics. He proposed that energy is quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete units, and introduced the concept of the quantum of action to explain the results. This was a groundbreaking idea that laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics.

4. Can you give an example of Planck's quantum of action in everyday life?

One example of Planck's quantum of action in everyday life is the emission of light from a lightbulb. The energy of each individual photon of light is determined by Planck's constant, and the total energy emitted by the lightbulb is a result of the collective emission of many photons.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding Planck's quantum of action?

Understanding Planck's quantum of action is essential for many modern technologies, including semiconductors, lasers, and transistors. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as quantum computing and nanotechnology. Additionally, the principles of quantum mechanics, which are based on Planck's constant, have led to many breakthroughs in physics and have revolutionized our understanding of the universe.