How Does the Speed of a Shadow Change with Time and Distance?

In summary: Can you use that to relate the smaller distance to L and v?In summary, the problem involves finding the expression for the velocity of the top of an object's shadow at a given time, given the object's height, velocity and the distance between the object and a light source. To solve this problem, one can use trigonometry, similar triangles, and kinematics to relate the variables of time, velocity, the distance between the object and the light source, and the height of the object's shadow. By using the ratio of sides of similar triangles, the smaller distance can be expressed in terms of L and v, and then used to find the expression for the velocity of the top of the object's shadow.
fubag
A small source of light S is located at a distance L from a vertical wall. An opaque object with a height of h moves toward the wall with constant velocity v(->) of magnitude v. At time t=0 , the object is located at the source S.

Find an expression for v_s, the magnitude of the velocity v_s(->) of the top of the object's shadow, at time t.
Express the speed of the top of the object's shadow in terms of t, V, L, and h.

**Please help, I just need someone to guide me in how to start this problem. As such, it confuses me.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
a few hints to think about:
-- draw a nice diagram and label everything
-- use trig, similar triangles, and kinematics to relate your variables t, v, L(t), h, s(t), where s(t) is the height of shadow at time t, and L(t) is the distance between source and object at time t
-- once you know displacement as function of t, velocity/speed should be easy.

if I relate the shadow to the height of the opaque, what value should I assign using similar triangles.?

fubag said:
if I relate the shadow to the height of the opaque, what value should I assign using similar triangles.?

you have the ratio of the height of the object to the height of the shadow... you also have the distance L... what is the corresponding side in the smaller triangle.

Could I simply assign a letter for the smaller distance like L-w or something?

fubag said:
Could I simply assign a letter for the smaller distance like L-w or something?

sure... but even better than that... you can write that distance in terms of v and t...

after attempting (looking at the problem) for almost 4 hours, I am still lost as to what I should do...

In attempting to relate L with the smaller distance I still cannot properly figure out how to relate it to velocity and time given only a constant velocity and no acceleration.

Need a different strategy and/or approach to this problem please.

Please help!

fubag said:
after attempting (looking at the problem) for almost 4 hours, I am still lost as to what I should do...

In attempting to relate L with the smaller distance I still cannot properly figure out how to relate it to velocity and time given only a constant velocity and no acceleration.

Need a different strategy and/or approach to this problem please.

Please help!

At a time t, what is the distance from the light source to the object? The question gave you the velocity v. You also know at time t=0, the distance from the light source is 0...

well to determine distance I am going to say distance = (velocity) / (time)

so Distance from the light source = (v/t)?

fubag said:
well to determine distance I am going to say distance = (velocity) / (time)

so Distance from the light source = (v/t)?

distance = v * t

haha sorry, was in a hurry.

ok now that I have this distance = v * t and the larger distance is L and now what should be my next step?

fubag said:
haha sorry, was in a hurry.

ok now that I have this distance = v * t and the larger distance is L and now what should be my next step?

What can you say about the ratios of sides of similar triangles?

Related to How Does the Speed of a Shadow Change with Time and Distance?

1. What is "A Small Source of Light"?

"A Small Source of Light" refers to a small object or organism that emits light, either through bioluminescence or by producing its own light through a chemical reaction.

2. How does bioluminescence work?

Bioluminescence is a chemical reaction that occurs within certain organisms, such as fireflies or marine animals like jellyfish. It involves a chemical called luciferin and an enzyme called luciferase, which when combined with oxygen, produces light. This light is often used for communication, defense, or attracting prey.

3. What are some examples of organisms that exhibit bioluminescence?

Some common examples of bioluminescent organisms include fireflies, glow worms, anglerfish, and certain species of jellyfish, squid, and bacteria. Bioluminescence can also be found in some fungi and plants.

4. How is bioluminescence used in scientific research?

Bioluminescence is often used in scientific research as a tool to study cellular processes and gene expression. Scientists can insert genes for bioluminescence into cells or organisms, which allows them to track changes in gene activity or cellular processes in real-time.

5. Is bioluminescence harmful to humans?

In most cases, bioluminescence is harmless to humans. However, some species of bioluminescent bacteria can cause infections in humans if ingested. Additionally, certain types of bioluminescent plankton can cause skin irritation if touched. It is always important to exercise caution when interacting with bioluminescent organisms in their natural habitats.