How Does the Wronskian Affect Linear Independence in Second Order ODEs?

This means that the ODE simplifies to y'' + q(x)y = 0, which has linearly independent solutions y1 and y2.
mathman44
y1 and y2 are solutions to the ODE

[tex]L[y]=0=y''+p(x)y'+q(x)y[/tex]What can you conclude about p(x), q(x) and the solutions on the interval I

if

i) [tex]W(x) = 0[/tex] for all X on I
ii) [tex]W(x) = c[/tex] for all X on I, c =/= 0

---

[tex]W(x) = y_1'y_2-y_1y_2' = C*e^{\int{p(x)}}[/tex]

i) W=0 so y1'y2=y1y2'

And y1 and y2 are not linearly independent.

Not sure what else I can conclude here.

ii) By Abel's theorem, p(x) = 0

y1 and y2 are linearly independent.
What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org

For part i), you can also conclude that the solutions y1 and y2 are constant multiples of each other. This is because if y1'y2=y1y2', then y1'/y1 = y2'/y2, meaning that the ratio of the derivatives is constant. Therefore, y1 and y2 are related by a constant factor.

For part ii), you can also conclude that p(x) = 0 for all x on I, not just for a specific c. This is because if W(x) = c for all x on I, then by Abel's theorem, p(x) must be constant on I. But since we know that W(x) = c for all x on I, not just for a specific c, then p(x) must be equal to 0 for all x on I.

Related to How Does the Wronskian Affect Linear Independence in Second Order ODEs?

1. What is a Wronskian in the context of second order ODEs?

A Wronskian is a mathematical tool used to determine the linear independence of a set of solutions to a second order ordinary differential equation (ODE). It is defined as the determinant of a matrix containing the solutions and their derivatives.

2. How is the Wronskian used to determine linear independence?

If the Wronskian of a set of solutions is non-zero at a given point, then the solutions are linearly independent at that point. This means that none of the solutions can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. Therefore, the Wronskian can be used to check for linear independence of solutions to a second order ODE.

3. Can the Wronskian be used to solve second order ODEs?

No, the Wronskian is not a method for solving second order ODEs. It is only used to determine the linear independence of solutions.

4. What is the relationship between the Wronskian and the fundamental set of solutions?

A fundamental set of solutions to a second order ODE are linearly independent solutions that can be used to form the general solution. The Wronskian of these solutions will be non-zero at any given point, indicating their linear independence. Therefore, the Wronskian can be used to identify a fundamental set of solutions.

5. Are there any other applications of the Wronskian besides determining linear independence?

Yes, the Wronskian can also be used to determine the existence and uniqueness of solutions to initial value problems for second order ODEs. If the Wronskian is non-zero at the initial point, then a unique solution exists for that initial value. Additionally, the Wronskian can be used to prove certain theorems in the theory of second order ODEs.