How does this floor heating mixing unit work?

In summary, the conversation discusses a floor heating mixing unit from Watts and its components, including a water meter and mixing valve. The question is raised whether the meter will continue to run when there is no water going to the floor loops, and the conversation speculates on the potential functioning of the manifold and its components. The conversation concludes that there are various variations in how the manifold works, making it difficult to determine the exact impact on the flow meter.
TSN79
I've come across this floor heating mixing unit from Watts in an appartment. The image shows how things flow (I could only find this with some russian-looking annotations). To the left of the return connection there is a water meter - not an energy meter - it only shows the accumulated amount that has flown through it from the day of installation. My question is - will this meter to some extent also run when no water goes to the floor loops? I suspect it will due to water being forced through the pump by the pump in the boiler room somewhere. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Watts isotherm.jpg
    Watts isotherm.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,096
Engineering news on Phys.org
Know anyone who reads Russian? There could be someone who could directly read the diagram. I'm guessing the large piece of equipment is a mixing valve, mixing hot water from some source with cold return from the distribution and back out to the distribution. Part of the warm flow goes back to the (boiler? heater?).

OldYat47 said:
Know anyone who reads Russian? There could be someone who could directly read the diagram. I'm guessing the large piece of equipment is a mixing valve, mixing hot water from some source with cold return from the distribution and back out to the distribution. Part of the warm flow goes back to the (boiler? heater?).

The large piece is indeed a mixing valve. The russian points to - and explains - a couple of thermometers, and the thing on the top is an overherating-device that shuts down the pump to prevent too hot water from reaching the floor.

I have similar manifold at home although it's a slightly different design and set up.

TSN79 said:
My question is - will this meter to some extent also run when no water goes to the floor loops? I suspect it will due to water being forced through the pump by the pump in the boiler room somewhere. Any ideas?

The manifold is usually controlled by a Wiring Centre. This takes electrical inputs from the room thermostats and generates outputs that control actuators on the manifold. In a small house there might be one thermostat per room each controlling one actuator feeding the loop for that room. In larger houses with big rooms one thermostat might control two or more floor loops.

In most cases the wiring centre also generates a "Boiler Enable (BE)" signal that is the logical OR of all the thermostats. The BE signal is used to control the manifold pump, the Boiler and it's pump. That way if no room stats are calling for heat everything is off. This is sometimes called an Interlock. I think it's mandatory to have an interlock in some countries.

On some systems there is no interlock. The boiler is either enabled 24/7 or is controlled by a time clock. What happens is that when the floor loops stop calling for heat the manifold stops taking hot water from the boiler. That causes an increase in pressure that opens an automatic bypass between the boiler flow and return. That causes the boiler return temperature to rise. If the burner is still running the flow temperature will also rise eventually causing the burner to shut off.

Unfortunately there are numerous variations so it's quite difficult to be sure how your works and what that means for the flow meter.

1. How does the floor heating mixing unit regulate temperature?

The floor heating mixing unit works by combining hot water from the boiler with cold water from the return pipe to achieve the desired temperature for the floor heating system. The amount of hot and cold water that is mixed is controlled by a thermostatic valve, which opens and closes depending on the temperature readings from the floor sensor. This ensures that the temperature of the water circulating in the floor heating system stays consistent.

2. What is the purpose of the return pipe in the floor heating mixing unit?

The return pipe in the floor heating mixing unit is responsible for bringing the cooled water back from the floor heating system to be re-heated by the boiler. This allows for a continuous cycle of hot water being circulated through the floor heating system, providing consistent and efficient heating.

3. How does the floor heating mixing unit prevent the water from getting too hot?

The floor heating mixing unit has a built-in safety feature called a high limit switch. This switch is set to a specific temperature and if the water in the floor heating system exceeds this temperature, the switch will automatically shut off the boiler to prevent the water from getting too hot. This ensures the safety of the system and prevents any potential damage.

4. Can the floor heating mixing unit be used with different types of boilers?

Yes, the floor heating mixing unit is compatible with most types of boilers, including gas, oil, or electric. As long as the boiler is properly sized for the floor heating system and is able to maintain the desired water temperature, it can be used with the mixing unit.

5. How does the floor heating mixing unit save energy?

The floor heating mixing unit helps to save energy by using the thermostatic valve to regulate the temperature of the water in the floor heating system. This means that the boiler only needs to heat the water to the specific temperature set by the valve, rather than constantly heating it to maximum temperature. This results in less energy consumption and lower heating costs.