How does this water pump work and is it suitable for an engine concept?

• Thread starter twiz_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump
In summary, the speaker is trying to learn about a water pump they found. They tested it and found that the angled tube is the input where air is forced down and then redirected to the narrow tube which pushes air downward into the cylindrical mechanism at the bottom of the pump. This action forces water up the vertical tube, possibly due to a valve. The speaker is interested in understanding the principles behind the pump for their own research and development project. They are also curious about the flow and discharge of air and water.
twiz_
I found this water pump (or so I think) that I'm trying to learn more about. I'm not exactly sure how it's intended to work, but I tested it in a way that works: The tube that comes out of the main part at an angle seems to be the input, where air is forced down the tube. Once the air reaches the end of the tube, the air is stopped by a valve that opens to the opposite direction, so the air instead goes down the narrow tube that pushes air downward into the cylindrical mechanism on the bottom of the pump which would be submerged in water. Somehow this forces water up the vertical tube and I think it has something to do with the previously mentioned valve.

The reason I would like to know is that I'm currently developing an engine concept, and this kind of pump would be particularly useful. I need to have a thorough understanding of the principles behind the pump in order to properly build what I need to build, but I'll save that for my own research. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20150923_190804.jpg
    IMG_20150923_190804.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 592
Engineering news on Phys.org
Does it provide a smooth continuous flow or pulses? Also, is the air discharged along with the pumped water?

1. What is the purpose of this pump?

The purpose of this pump is to move or transfer a fluid or gas from one location to another.

2. What type of fluid or gas can this pump handle?

This pump can handle a variety of fluids and gases, including water, oil, chemicals, and air.

3. Is this pump electric or manual?

This pump can be either electric or manual, depending on the specific model and its intended use.

4. What is the maximum flow rate of this pump?

The maximum flow rate of this pump varies depending on the model and its specifications, but it is typically measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per minute (LPM).

5. Can this pump be used for industrial applications?

Yes, this pump can be used for a variety of industrial applications, including in manufacturing, construction, and agriculture.