Problem Introducing Me to Sliding Friction

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving lifting a box with a pulley and friction. The question requires the use of an integration technique and the solution is Weπμ. The person is unsure how to approach the problem and is seeking guidance.
swill777
I'm going through the problems at the back of a chapter in my physics book where all the challenging questions are. I'm able to solve most and comprehend the rest, however, there's one that's introducing a new concept that I'm not quite sure how to think about.

Its a situation where I'm pulling a box with weight W up utilizing a pulley with radius r and a sliding friction coefficient μ. What is the minimum force on the rope downward on the rope needed to lift the box?

The question says to use an integration technique, and says to show that it's Weπμ.

I'm not quite sure how to think about this; and knowing that I need to use an integration technique to solve it is throwing me off as well.

I'm quite knowledgeable of single variable calculus and I'm not looking for an answer, I'm just looking for some help in how to think about this problem, and perhaps some guidance pointing me in a direction to go about solving this problem or dealing with this situation.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Need the picture.
From your description it sounds like a rope over a pully that has friction. ... weight+friction opposes the motion ... how is friction related to the forces and the geometry of the setup?

1. What is sliding friction?

Sliding friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces slide against each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of the irregularities.

2. What are some examples of sliding friction?

Examples of sliding friction include rubbing your hands together, pushing a box across the floor, and sliding down a slide.

3. How is sliding friction different from other types of friction?

Sliding friction is different from other types of friction, such as static friction or rolling friction, because it involves two surfaces sliding against each other rather than one surface remaining stationary.

4. What factors affect the amount of sliding friction?

The amount of sliding friction is affected by the weight of the object, the type of surface materials, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pushing the two surfaces together.

5. How does sliding friction impact everyday life and industrial processes?

Sliding friction plays a crucial role in everyday life and industrial processes. It allows us to walk, drive cars, and use machines. However, it also creates wear and tear on surfaces and increases the amount of energy needed for movement, making it an important factor to consider in engineering and design.