How far apart are the stations?

• Thread starter Starrrrr
  • Start date
In summary, the train travels with a constant acceleration of 0.3m/s^2 for 3 minutes before reaching its maximum speed. It then maintains this speed for 5 minutes before decelerating at -2m/s^2 until it comes to rest at the next station. By calculating the distances traveled during each segment, it can be determined that the stations are approximately 21789m apart.
Starrrrr
A train leaves a station from rest with a constant acceleration of 0.3m/s2. It reaches a maximum speed after 3 minutes and maintains this speed for a further 5 minutes, when it slows down with a deceleration −2 m/s2 until it comes to rest at the next station. How far apart are the stations?

s=1/2(a)(t)^2
s2-s1 or s1-s2 not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

: a1=0.3ms^-2 t1=180s a2=-2ms^-2 t2=300s
Then I used the s=1/2at^2 formula and found that s1=4860m and s2=-90000m
This is the part I'm stuck on is it s2-s1 or s1-s2 to find how far apart the stations are?[/B]
When I use the s2-s1 it gives me a negative value and I think there is no such thing as a negative distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are three portions of the trip, not just two.

The equation ##s=\frac{1}{2}at^2## only applies if certain conditions are met. What are some of those conditions?

Edit: I may have misunderstood your difficulty. The approach that I have in mind is adding up the distance for the three segments of the journey, not subtracting.

I have been trying to find the third trip but I still don't understand.

There are 3 segments of the trip that you need to calculate individually. The first segment is where the train is accelerating during the whole segment. The second segment is where the train is moving at constant velocity during the whole segment. The third segment is where the train is decelerating during the whole segment. The distance between the two stations is the sum of those three distances: s1 + s2 + s3

Likes Starrrrr
TomHart said:
There are 3 segments of the trip that you need to calculate individually. The first segment is where the train is accelerating during the whole segment. The second segment is where the train is moving at constant velocity during the whole segment. The third segment is where the train is decelerating during the whole segment. The distance between the two stations is the sum of those three distances: s1 + s2 + s3
ok thanks ill try and solve it, I have been doing this question for 3 hours, the funny thing is I find the hardest qs easy and easy qs hard :D

I got an answer of 21789m if anyone can verify please.

I got the same result.

Likes Starrrrr
TomHart said:
I got the same result.
Ok thank you sooo much. ;)

Likes TomHart

1. How are the distances between stations measured?

The distances between stations are typically measured using a method called triangulation, which involves using mathematical calculations and equipment such as GPS devices to determine the exact distance between two points.

2. Are the distances between stations consistent?

The distances between stations can vary depending on the location and terrain of the area. In urban areas, stations may be closer together due to higher population density, while in rural areas they may be further apart due to lower population density.

3. How far apart are the stations on average?

The average distance between stations can vary greatly depending on the type of transportation system. For example, subway stations may be closer together compared to train stations. On average, subway stations can be around 1 mile apart, while train stations can be around 10 miles apart.

4. Are there any guidelines for the distance between stations?

There are general guidelines for the distance between stations, but they can vary depending on the type of transportation system, the location, and other factors. For example, in urban areas, subway stations may be around 1/2 mile apart, while in rural areas, train stations may be around 20 miles apart.

5. How does the distance between stations affect travel time?

The distance between stations can greatly impact travel time. The further apart stations are, the longer the travel time between them. This is why transportation systems in urban areas tend to have shorter distances between stations compared to those in rural areas.