How Far Does the Moon Fall Toward Earth in One Second?

In summary, the center-to-center distance between Earth and Moon is 384400 km and the Moon completes an orbit in 27.3 days with an orbital speed of 1024 m/s. In order to calculate how far the Moon would fall below the tangent line and towards the Earth, we need to use the equation for centripetal acceleration. However, this problem involves geometry and requires a diagram to solve. After 1.0 s, the Moon moves through an angle of theta and we need to solve for y.
eunhye732
The center-to-center distance between Earth and Moon is 384400 km. The Moon completes an orbit in 27.3 days.
(b) If gravity were switched off, the Moon would move along a straight line tangent to its orbit, as described by Newton's first law. In its actual orbit in 1.00 s, how far does the Moon fall below the tangent line and toward the Earth?

part (a) was asking for the Moon's orbital speed which was 1024 m/s. for part (b) my question is I don't know what equation to use to solve for this. All i know is that I need to use centripetal acceleration but when?
thanks and i hope you can help~!

Physics news on Phys.org
The second part is a geometry problem.
Consider a circle with a tagent line drawn at one point. Now after 1.0 s, the moon (under gravity) moves through an angle of theta. I truly think this needs a diagram, so I've attached one now. We want to solve for y.

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/503/745636345ew.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

To solve for the distance the Moon would fall below the tangent line towards the Earth, we can use the equation for centripetal acceleration, which is given by a = v^2/r, where v is the orbital speed and r is the distance between the Moon and the Earth.

In this case, we know the orbital speed (1024 m/s) and the distance between the Earth and Moon (384400 km or 384400000 m). We can convert the distance to meters for consistency.

Plugging in the values, we get:
a = (1024 m/s)^2 / (384400000 m)
= 0.0000027 m/s^2

This is the acceleration towards the Earth due to gravity. To find the distance the Moon would fall in 1.00 s, we can use the equation for displacement, given by d = 1/2 * a * t^2, where a is the acceleration and t is the time.

Plugging in the values, we get:
d = 1/2 * (0.0000027 m/s^2) * (1.00 s)^2
= 0.00000135 m

Therefore, the Moon would fall approximately 0.00000135 meters towards the Earth in 1.00 second if gravity were switched off. This may seem like a small distance, but over time it would accumulate and cause the Moon to eventually collide with the Earth. This highlights the importance of the universal law of gravitation in keeping celestial bodies in their orbits.

Related to How Far Does the Moon Fall Toward Earth in One Second?

What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental principle in physics that explains the force of attraction between all objects in the universe.

Who discovered universal gravitation?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering universal gravitation in the late 17th century.

How does universal gravitation work?

According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the difference between universal gravitation and gravity?

Universal gravitation is a scientific principle that explains the force of attraction between all objects in the universe, while gravity is the specific manifestation of this force on Earth due to its mass and the mass of other objects.

How is universal gravitation related to the motion of planets?

The same principle of universal gravitation is responsible for the motion of planets in their orbits around the sun. The gravitational force between the sun and the planets keeps them in their respective orbits.