How far is the football displaced from its original position?

• Thread starter Makaroon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, the conversation is about finding the displacement of a football after a quarterback runs backwards for 10 meters, then sideways for 15 meters, and then throws the ball forward for 50 meters. The final displacement is found by adding the vectors representing each "stage" of the ball's journey, resulting in a displacement of 43 meters from its original position. The conversation also includes tips on how to approach the problem and helpful resources for understanding vector addition.
Makaroon

Homework Statement

A quarterback takes the ball from the line of scrimmage and runs backwards for 1.0 x 10 ^1 m then sideways parallel to the line of scrimmage for 15 m. The ball is thrown forward 5.0 x 10^1 m perpendicular the line of scrimmage. The receiver is tackled immediately. How far is the football displaced from its original position?

Homework Equations

well I convert change the sci into 10m and 50m

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what kind of problem this is? what is it dealing with? yeah I'm looking for the displacement, but I thought displacement was just the difference from where it was at first... but well I have the answer which is 43m, but how in the world do I get to that number?

and I'm so sorry for asking soo many questions, but I'm really lost and I have my mid term tomorrow. I know the rest but all these questions that I've been asking which were like mid through the semester. thanks to all who have been helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing a sketch of the problem should help.

because the ball goes at an angle from its original position, does it make sense that you could describe its final position as 40 meters forward and 15 meters to the right?

I still don't get it... I don't know what equation to use...

Follow radou's hint: draw a diagram of the situation. Draw vectors representing each "stage" of the ball's journey. The total displacement will be the resultant vector.

Heh, stop looking for an equation, the answer is right infront of you. :-p

Take a piece of paper and as radou said, draw a diagram. Since the height of the ball doesn't matter, it is the exact same as this simplified problem.

A man walks 10m backwards, then moves sideways 15m, then walks 50m forwards, how far is he from the original position? so basically you end up with a triangle with sides of 15m, and 40m, and a hypotenuse x which you need to find.

Of course this can also be done with vector addition..

edit::I would demonstrate the vector addition but I got to go to bed. Here is something that should be at your level http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/vectors/u3l1b.html

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe thanks, I got it!
thank y'all so much.

Related to How far is the football displaced from its original position?

1. How is the displacement of the football measured?

The displacement of the football can be measured by calculating the distance between its final position and its original position.

2. What factors affect the displacement of the football?

The displacement of the football can be affected by various factors such as the initial force applied to the ball, the angle at which it is kicked, and external forces such as wind or friction.

3. Does the shape of the football affect its displacement?

Yes, the shape of the football can affect its displacement. A more aerodynamic shape can result in a greater displacement compared to a less aerodynamic shape.

4. Can the displacement of the football be predicted?

Yes, the displacement of the football can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion and projectile motion.

5. How does the displacement of the football relate to its velocity and acceleration?

The displacement of the football is directly related to its velocity and acceleration. The greater the velocity and acceleration, the greater the displacement of the football will be.